Solved Lumina not working.

I compiled lumina from ports and in my .xinitrc, and am starting it via means of "exec lumina-desktop"
And when it starts, all I see is my wallpaper. no panels and no desktop manager.. what am i doing wrong here? I feel like everytime I try lumina it gets worse.

Edit: SOLVED by user Sensucht94 who kindly informed me the name of the bin to start it is start-lumina-desktop and not simply lumina-desktop, thank you for your help, Sensucht94.

Hi ameec, it's been a while. Lumina 1.4 version should have brought a lot of new features, including the theme manager and greater tiling capabilities: it's almost a year I'm not on Lumina, but you're making me curious of trying the new version :cool:

Back to your question: unless they have changed it in 1.4, the correct executable name is start-lumina-desktop and not symply "lumina-desktop". You can confirm it by typing % which start-lumina-desktop....if it returns:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/start-lumina-desktop
then it's this the correct one and you can safely put it in your .xinitrc.

Lumina depends on dbus, hence you need to enable it globally in /etc/rc.conf
% sudo sysrc -f /etc/rc.conf dbus_enable="YES"

% sudo service dbus start

Or for your standard user and the X session only:
% echo "exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session start-lumina-desktop" > ~/.xinitrc

If you use the sysutils/consolekit2 as framework to handle/track login session, and want to execute lumina as a consolekit user's process child, then you can combine the 2 things and do instead:

% echo "exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session start-lumina-desktop" > ~/.xinitrc

best whishes

Hi ameec, it's been a while. Lumina 1.4 version should have brought a lot of new features, including the theme manager and greater tiling capabilities: it's almost a year I'm not on Lumina, but you're making me curious of trying the new version :cool:

Back to your question: unless they have changed it in 1.4, the correct executable name is start-lumina-desktop and not symply "lumina-desktop". You can confirm it by typing % which start-lumina-desktop....if it returns:
Code:

If you use the sysutils/consolekit2 as framework to handle/track login session, and want to execute lumina as a consolekit user's process child, then you can combine the 2 things and do instead:

% echo "exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session start-lumina-desktop" > ~/.xinitrc

best whishes

Greetings. Thank for your educational post, it is greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my experience using ck-launch-session dbus-launch, I get random crashing of one of the two and my desktop will stall, with the error "unable to connect to conesolekit", that or my shutdown/reset buttons just randomly dissapear. This is with using mate/xfce, is this not an issue on lumina?

Greetings. Thank for your education and problem solving post, it is greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my experience using ck-launch-session dbus-launch, I get random crashing of one of the two and my desktop will stall, with the error "unable to connect to conesolekit", that or my shutdown/reset buttons just randomly dissapear. This is with using mate/xfce, is this not an issue on lumina?

If you're the only user loggin in that PC (ex your personal laptop) then there's no reason to use consolekit: unneeded waste of RAM ;)

you can run dbus-launch without appending 'ck-launch' beforehand, the way I told you above, as opposed to a system-wide rc-handled daemon :)

Also,
If you're the only user loggin in that PC (ex your personal laptop) then there's no reason to use consolekit: unneeded waste of RAM ;)

you can run dbus-launch without appending 'ck-launch' beforehand, the way I told you above, as opposed to a system-wide rc-handled daemon :)

Thanks.

Code:

best whishes

I forgot to mark this as solved.
While my issue is solved, lumina has not strayed far from being a buggy and crash ridden mass. Just saying.
Thanks again.

Back