Solved Low res on 13.0-RELEASE i386

Status
Not open for further replies.
You didn't need the full path before FreeBSD 13.0, simply "i915kms" (worked fine on 12.x)
Actually I just tried booting a disk which had 12.2 installed and changed the kld_list line to "i915kms" - no path and when it booted the screen went blank and I was unable to do anything apart from poweroff. With 12.2 you definitely need to specify "/boot/modules/i915kms.ko".

ISTR that this was a change from some previous version, but don't recall exactly which.

Actually I just tried booting a disk which had 12.2 installed and changed the kld_list line to "i915kms" - no path and when it booted the screen went blank and I was unable to do anything apart from poweroff. With 12.2 you definitely need to specify "/boot/modules/i915kms.ko".
As already explained, without a path, you will load the deprecated driver that comes with the kernel. It might work on your hardware, if it is old enough. It's definitely unsupported, this is code that was abandoned long ago.

13.0-RELEASE finally removed that deprecated stuff, so in absence of /boot/kernel/i915kms.ko, just using the name will find the driver in /boot/modules.

ISTR that this was a change from some previous version, but don't recall exactly which.
11.2 – back then, the official DRM drivers were found in graphics/drm-kmod (and dependent packages/ports). But it took until now to finally remove the old stuff ;)

You're wrong. Stop insulting people that are trying to educate you.

I am not wrong. I was operating with the information and observations I literally had in front of me. It turns out the hardware I have FreeBSD installed on is old enough to have provided an edge case and I was not believed.

You should be impartial rather than sanctioning insulting behavior from one side (e.g. "are you stupid").

I do laugh at the "distributing dangerous misconceptions", pure self serving theatre. I have made a correction to the post that generated that hysterical claim:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/low-res-on-13-0-release-i386.79838/#post-506767

I am not wrong. I was operating with the information and observations I literally had in front of me. It turns out the hardware I have FreeBSD installed on is old enough to have provided an edge case and I was not believed.
Sure you were wrong. I assume you know what "Sure, but" means? No disbelief here, just telling you what happened:

You should be impartial rather than sanctioning insulting behavior from one side (e.g. "are you stupid").
Maybe you should not throw insults then, insisting you are right? I did remove posts no longer necessary after your edits and deletions. I'd be happy to remove even more.

I do laugh at the "distributing dangerous misconceptions", that really is just self serving theatre.
So, this was funny, right? If it wasn't for the fact that your wrong claim could lead people to break their installations.

I have made a correction to the post that generated that hysterical claim:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/low-res-on-13-0-release-i386.79838/#post-506767
Now that's great, thanks. It really shouldn't be such a hassle, after all, being corrected isn't shameful. No further comment…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back