ZFS Low Cost USB3 Hot Swap RAID?

Hi folks.

Is there such a beast...of a low cost USB3 raid with hot swap drives? I'm looking for a non-NAS based system for my Mac. I own a Drobo and I have now sworn off NAS. It's horrible. I'd like to research looking into a FreeBSD system on a small computer (Raspberry Pi or similar) that controls a medium-duty RAID. How swap would be nice. I'm not sure where the controller should be, hardware or through ZFS. It's for storing backups and stuff like that, so speed isn't really the issue here.

Is this pragmatic? Is it common? I'd love to do this in FreeBSD. Any insight appreciated. Cheers

I haven't seen what you are looking for. But keep in mind: Raspberry Pi's and similar single board computers don't have usb3. In addition, they often use usb as the bus for everything: network card, usb ports and more. So you are not going to get decent speeds out of any drive / raid connected to that. Look into a NUC-sized machine with the necessary number of usb 3 ports on.

Hi there. There are comparable units with USB3, so I'm basically looking to ask for one of these small footprint PCs with such features that I can put FreeBSD on, and somehow configure a raid. I've not made a raid before.

I found one: https://libre.computer/products/boards/roc-rk3328-cc

Anyway, curious about all this. I bet it would take a lot of tinkering and trials.

Simplest solution would be to attach some external usb hard drives, use zfs to set up raid-z1/2/3 and test it out. I haven't done it, so I don't know if you would get issues with the usb links dropping from time to time.
Also then you could test and see what speed you get.

It's also important where the power supply comes from. If it's embedded into USB it will make a trouble for you board
and short the life time of disks if those aren't SSD. Usually 2.5" disks are powered directly from USB cable.

One more thing! WD and others started to make _pure_ USB3 drives without internal SATA.
Its' really terrible! USB3 dies quite fast and even if disk is alive one can't get the data with USB3 connection.
Only empty USB2 slot can help. The speed goes down accordingly. RAID will just speed up the effect.

My personal opinion hard drive (HDD or SSD) and USB is no-go.

P.S. Currently there are few boards with 2 SATA ports available. Orange Pi is an example.

I would probably go with proper SATA3 drives. It's a matter of matching up hardware for commodity drives like WD 2 TB green NAS drives. The ultimate goal is to get a low-cost FreeBSD 5-bay RAID. Speed isn't an issue as it's mostly about storage over USB, which kicks any NAS system. I'll never go NAS again.

NAS is just only Network Accessible Storage. Nothing else. It can run on FBSD, Linux or even Windows.
If you don't wish to make your data available over network it's your private decision.
I don't get how this is related to USB drives, RAID or Single PC board?

My personal opinion is if you don't have a space constrain or not need to limit power usage or you talk
about anything RAID related you'll better go with cheap standard tower AMD/Intel based.
It cost you 100 backs more, but it's so much easier to deal with and software usually much better tested.
If course if you somehow interested to keep your data alive. If not just book 2-10G totally free Dropbox like
storage, relax and have fun.

Yes, I own a Drobo5N, which is a Linux box. It's terrible. I thought I'd investigate using FreeBSD to make a USB-driven alternative that's connected directly to my workstation. I'd rather keep it small and simple, and not have another powerhouse house-heater. I've had 10 GB Dropbox for ages, but my libraries are in need of something much larger. I don't want to spend monthlies on a service, but want to stop mounting a NAS every 4 minutes.

Buying a geek staff never was a proper money spending.

What ever case is, you are free to install what ever OS you'd like and can manage. There is no point to buy new hardware
if you paid for one already. If it's local storage, not over Internet and you use Windows with your laptop, then just set up Samba
service on it and get everything you might need. Takes < 30 min.

If you need it now just put Ubuntu there and it's all done in 10 min. FBSD will need more work.

I'm unclear as to your geek claim. There are multiple variables here, one of which is my sheer curiosity. I'm not looking for financial advice, so please, try to stick to the question that's been presented.

There is no point running a piece of hardware that is hugely difficult to manage. If you want to battle with something for months on your own dime, go right ahead. I don't use Windows, but a Mac workstation. It runs on Samba, and OSX has issues with Samba. You DO know this is a FreeBSD forum, and that's why I've asked here.

I'm not blind to see you upset. If you really need help - relax and listen!

Currently you do have 2 options. Buy new hardware or stick with what you have already.

Personally I do have no clue of hardware stability of Marvell Armada XP Quad-Core, but I try to avoid
such non standard things at any price. Especially it's not difficult at all. Intel and AMD are cheap and everywhere available.

There is no single benefit to run ARM CPU for storage purpose for a user, but huge benefit for a company which sell those devices.
You wish to repeat your pain again? Then go for ARM and report your feelings.

Don't want to spend a single penny? Find Linux which you will be able to setup on your box.
Although it is very possible that Drobo makers protected their hardware from re-use with different system.

You wish to spend a little - Buy standard CPU machine from Ebay. It can be as cheap as $50 or less.
Most important disks are new - use your own disks. No ARM can beat it. Put FBSD on it. You are done.

You completely miss my point. Your ego is a bit out of control. I have plenty of boxes with what you said. I'm not looking to do that. I've said this but your ego took over. You wish to re-read the thread again?

And no, Drobo isn't protecting anything. It's a Samba issue on OSX apparently. Your insight into business is flawed.

Back