Lot's of spam recently

There have been lots of spam recently....
I'd like to offer my help to elimenate it faster.
If you want, you could give me some mod permissions.

I'm usually online in this forum a lot.

Or if i can help somehow other that just report spams, let me know, I'd really like to help, with what i can.

We will discuss this internally among other admins and moderators.

danger@ said:
We will discuss this internally among other admins and moderators.
Now, that is surprising. In all the forums I have been active so far the general rule was that no one who asks for moderator rights would ever be granted such privileges.

kamikaze said:
Now, that is surprising. In all the forums I have been active so far the general rule was that no one who asks for moderator rights would ever be granted such privileges.

I just want to contribute to FreeBSD, this forum and community.

When I actually say that we will discuss it, it doesn't necessary mean the the user will be granted with such permissions. The point is that we have several users here who might be a very good candidates for this position. If we are going to add new mods, we have to carefully consider this fact.

Anyway, AFAIR the FreeBSD project works the way that we promote (or sometimes we refer to punishing :)) our users with special privileges when we consider that they deserve it (either it is commit bit, or say, mod privileges)...

kamikaze said:
I don't question your motives. It's just how things commonly happen in my experience.

I'd imagine people here don't need to justify themselves by acting like a jerk to other people through http.

We need a mod in here ;)

a.k.a. "Move along, nothing to see here"

irkkaaja said:
I'd imagine people here don't need to justify themselves by acting like a jerk to other people through http.
I didn't see that happen. In my opinion this place is surprisingly spam-free.

DutchDaemon said:
Modding is more than removing spam and rogue accounts.

+1

In general, it would be good to see a simple member of this forum being "promoted" and it seems that killasmurf spends much of his time around here. Also, by looking at his posts I see that he does like to contribute.

How about activating askimet anti spam system. I think it is inbuilt into VB itself.

Another option limiting time between posting.

Also, you can mod system such way only member with 10 or more post should be able to post urls.

HTH

We are well aware of these options and some of them were implemented already. We currently don't consider deploying akismet though.

Well we have a good handle on it now so more that we don't need it and don't want to deal with a 3rd party system as a dependency.

Back