Login Manager

My PC boots up with console login. I read somewhere about slim - The simple login manager. I installed it from ports and now have a graphical login. But there are no options like in gdm or kdm. Has anyone used or is using slim? Perhaps I missed some configuration.

nu2fbsd said:
My PC boots up with console login. I read somewhere about slim - The simple login manager. I installed it from ports and now have a graphical login. But there are no options like in gdm or kdm. Has anyone used or is using slim? Perhaps I missed some configuration.

The slim login manager is very simple, after You authenticate with username and password it reads (and starts) commands from ~/.xinitrc file (like session/window managers and anything You would like to use in x11).

I have read the install file and it says that we can also change the desktop or session. I have xfce4 as the first session. Suppose I want to also have another desktop like gnome, it says that I have to have that as a second option in the /etc/slim.conf file. Now I tried to change sessions and I am not able to do that. I have also an entry in ~/.xinitrc for gnome-session but commented out and xfce4 uncommented for use.

/etc/slim.conf is probably not correct for FreeBSD. All ports use /usr/local/ as their prefix. Move that file to /usr/local/etc/.

portupgrade will do the job, that's what it's there for.

Back