Log files

I already checked that one but didn't see anything unusual. Just that upon reboot some file systems where not unmounted properly, which is of course normal when the system froze before.

Well, that's the problem with freezes. Most of the time, you won't get anything in your logs about them. Do the freezes occur under certain circumstances?

volatilevoid said:
Well, that's the problem with freezes. Most of the time, you won't get anything in your logs about them. Do the freezes occur under certain circumstances?

Agreed. I've had hardware problems that took forever to diagnose because they just froze the machine with no real indication as to why. Nothing logged, no crash dumps, no core files.

volatilevoid said:

In my case only when doing something you're not supposed to do. I remember I accidentally typed 'X+enter' through an ssh connection. This made the system freeze.

As related to hardware problems I had one server that suddenly hung for no reason. After a BIOS upgrade (with FreeDOS) the issue was solved.

Back