Locking out dependencies?

Is there any way to mark a dependency so it does not ever get installed?

I am trying really hard to not have PulseAudio installed on my system, and I keep finding unexpected, non-audio-related packages that depend on it, like Blender, FreeCAD, and KImageMapEditor. I always check the list of dependencies to make sure PulseAudio is not there, but since I am not infallible, I was wondering if there was a way to tell pkg not to install anything that required PulseAudio.

Thanks!

Package dependencies are pretty much set in stone. There could be various "flavors" that may have different options set, but those dependencies are still hardcoded. And not all ports have or use flavors. The only way to properly enable/disable options you want is to build from ports. And the best way to do that is to use a tool like poudriere or Synth.

I would hack up pkg(8). It's worth it.

Obviously I assume that you don't want any of the packages that depend on PA.

… <https://forums.freebsd.org/posts/528187> was my record of creating a fake manifest.

(It's no longer required; KDE Plasma was improved.)

lgrant Did you try that? I use it on development boxes where I don't want what I'm developing to get installed.
Not yet, though I intend to look into it. It looks like it will solve the problem of PulseAudio getting installed accidentally. But will the packages that use it still install, and then fall over when they try to use it. Or will it keep them from installing? (I still have to learn more about the packaging system.)

Not yet, though I intend to look into it. It looks like it will solve the problem of PulseAudio getting installed accidentally. But will the packages that use it still install, and then fall over when they try to use it. Or will it keep them from installing? (I still have to learn more about the packaging system.)
The packages using PulseAudio will still get installed. They might fall over.

Back