locate daemon?

Is there a way to setup locate so it's constantly indexing the file system? I found /etc/periodic/weekly/310.locate but I have to run it manually every time I want to update the locate database.

Thanks! :D

J.

Well, you could run it from cron once a day if you like. Don't underestimate the assault on your hard drive. There's a reason why it runs unattended in the middle of the night.

There is no locate daemon...

Move the script to daily or run it from cron on an hourly basis..

Is there something better than locate then? I would imagine that there has to be a search utility that indexes the fs in real time - no?

Thanks!

J.

I'm familiar with "find" but that doesn't use indexes so it can take a long time. I'll take a look at "whereis".

Thanks!

SirDice said:
man whereis and man find

I actually never use locate..

It can be handy sometimes, when some program wants a somelib.so.3 and I need to know quickly whether I have a somelib.so.x lying around somewhere that I can reuse. Other than that, not much use.

If you are looking for an executable add the -b switch to whereis. To be perfectly honest I don't use whereis that much either. After 10 years I pretty much know where everything is or at least where it's supposed to be :e

Are you looking for a CLI app or a GUI app? There are several GUI apps for GNOME/KDE that do near-realtime indexing of the filesystem, and instant-search. Not sure about CLI.

Back