localhost [127.0.0.1] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to Daemon0

Hallo all and a happy new year,
I have here some FreeBSD 8.1 standard installations.
With all these systems, i get from sendmail this error message.

Code:
Jan  3 13:12:39 ns1 sm-mta[3107]: p03CCdkb003107: localhost [127.0.0.1] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to Daemon0
Jan  3 13:13:41 ns1 sm-mta[3134]: p03CDfhV003134: localhost [127.0.0.1] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to Daemon0
Jan  3 13:14:41 ns1 sm-mta[3161]: p03CEfDG003161: localhost [127.0.0.1] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to Daemon0
Jan  3 13:15:40 ns1 sm-mta[3345]: p03CFext003345: localhost [127.0.0.1] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to Daemon0

However, i can send from these systems e-mail.

What do I make wrong? Somebody an idea?

Thank you for every help.

parcival

Are you running a monitoring system (snmp, or another mechanism to check running daemons, etc.) on that system?

Thank you for your help, you are right.
These are zabbix agents.

But
Code:
zabbix_get -s192.168.1.12 -knet.tcp.service[smtp,Hostname] or
zabbix_get -s192.168.1.12 -knet.tcp.service[smtp]

give the same error.

What must i do in sendmail, that he accepts smtp connections of the agent (127.0.0.1 or Hostname)?

thx

parcival

There is nothing wrong with your Sendmail. Note that Sendmail is complaining about the connecting party not setting up a proper SMTP session or issuing a proper SMTP command (like the ones in the error message). This is correct, because all Zabbix does is send a tcp packet to elicit a response from port 25 and probably harvest the result code and the hostname in the process, because that's all you get from a connection.

Try:

Code:
telnet 127.0.0.1 25
[see reply]
quit

That's what Zabbix does, and that's what makes Sendmail yell "Hey, that was not a valid smtp session".

Other than finding this message in the sources and commenting it out (I don't think it's a tunable), make sure that the syslogd_enable setting in /etc/rc.conf does not have a -c or -cc flag, because that will disable the compression of similar log lines

This well sounds.
If you are able to do this please something more exactly explain.
I am not FreeBSD guru :r
Thank you for your help and greetings to Holland

parcival

[cmd=]ps ax | grep syslogd[/cmd]

If you see something like
Code:
/usr/sbin/syslogd -s -cc
or
/usr/sbin/syslogd -s -c
compression of log lines is off. Remove -c or -cc from the syslogd_flags line in /etc/rc.conf and restart syslogd using [cmd=]service syslogd restart[/cmd]

DutchDaemon, this was not the problem but thanks again :)
Mine syslogd works without -s -c or -cc.

I have not understood rather this here.
>>Other than finding this message in the sources and commenting it out (I don't think it's a tunable)

Where must i do this and how (sendmail sources)?

Proceed at your own risk! Don't come crying here if you shoot yourself in the foot. You'll have to have sources installed, to begin with.

Code:
cd /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/src/
vi srvrsmtp.c

comment out ([B]C style comments[/B], of course):

"%s did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to %s",

cd /usr/src/lib/libsm; make clean; make obj; make depend; make
cd /usr/src/lib/libsmutil; make clean; make obj; make depend; make
cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail; make clean; make obj; make depend; make; make install

Restart sendmail.

You'll have to do this every time you update your installation.

DutchDaemon said:
Proceed at your own risk! Don't come crying here if you shoot yourself in the foot. You'll have to have sources installed, to begin with.

{... commenting sendmail's "did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN" message}

Those messages can be useful to see when a spammer has given up. Seems like it would be better to fix the Zabbix stuff to actually do something minor on connect instead of just hanging up.

Back