Solved Load the zfs kernel module instead of using gnop devices during install?

I'd like to set up FreeBSD 10.2 to boot from ZFS, so I read the wiki page at https://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE

My only point of confusion is the note in step 7 that says "FreeBSD 10.1 or later: Load the ZFS kernel module and set the minimum ashift value with sysctl vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift=12 instead of using gnop(8) devices"

I assume this means don't do the gnop(8) steps indicated in step 7 - but is the ZFS kernel module supposed to be loaded at that point during the installation (and how), or does that mean add commands to the boot menu?

I'd like to set up FreeBSD 10.2 to boot from zfs, so I read the wiki page at https://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE

My only point of confusion is the note in step 7 that says "FreeBSD 10.1 or later: Load the zfs kernel module and set the minimum ashift value with sysctl vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift=12 instead of using gnop(8) devices"

I assume this means don't do the gnop(8) steps indicated in step 7 - but is the zfs kernel module supposed to be loaded at that point during the installation (and how), or does that mean add commands to the boot menu?

Assuming that you want to perform a cli installation, setting the sysctl vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift=12 will force the pool to use ashift=12 without the need of gnop trick. Now, regarding the module, you don't need to load it. Typing any zfs command will load it automatically.

Assuming that you want to perform a cli installation, setting the sysctl vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift=12 will force the pool to use ashift=12 without the need of gnop trick. Now, regarding the module, you don't need to load it. Typing any zfs command will load it automatically.

Apparently what I missed was sysctl vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift=12 is the command to enter: It wasn't highlighted in the wiki the way it did when I entered my question here in the Forums, and I failed to recognize the command.

If I understand you correctly, I don't need to follow the wiki page's description of how to set up booting from zfs?
Yes, the installer can do this for you:

FreeBSD-on-T420-6.png

It also sets up booting from ZFS.

Back