LLVM vs gcc performance benchmarking

source:
http://clang.llvm.org/performance.html

================================================================================
Timing Results

sketch.png

176.gcc: This is the gcc-2.7.2.2 code base as present in SPECINT 2000. In contrast to Sketch, 176.gcc consists of a large amount of C source code (~200,000 lines) with few system dependencies. This stresses the back-end's performance on generating assembly code and debug information.

gcc 2.7.2.2 ... ?

I wonder if there are benchmarks of the resulting machine code from each compiler? More important than the speed of compilation for me. :)

aragon said:
I wonder if there are benchmarks of the resulting machine code from each compiler? More important than the speed of compilation for me. :)

Depends. Many things are faster, some things a bit slower. It's worth noting that the numbers posted above are from June 2009, which is an eternity LLVM- and Clang-wise. Clang may be slower at compiling now, just because it implements more things.

Also, the numbers are from compiling Objective-C which is not very interesting for FreeBSD. Compiling C is still faster than GCC, but much less impressive (~20%, see original link). Still, I think LLVM and Clang are really cool.

Back