LispWorks install architecture

Good day dear all,
Experienced this issue:
Code:
pkg add lispworks71-64bit-7.1.txz
-Installing lispworks71-64bit-7.1...
-pkg: wrong architecture: FreeBSD:10:amd64 instead of FreeBSD:12:amd64
-Failed to install the following 1 package(s): lispworks71-64bit-7.1.txz
My lispworks71-64bit-7.1.txz contain folder "usr" and files +MANIFEST +COMPACT_MANIFEST

After hundreds of googling attempts & daily reading of our nice forum rather doubt I'll be able to solve this alone..
What I've found out and done:
1) Extract .txz
2) The version has to be changed in +MANIFEST and +COMPACT_MANIFEST files (10 replaced with 12 simply by editor and saved)
3) tar -cf lispworks.tar usr +Manifest +COMPACT_MANIFEST
4) xz -c -z lispworks.tar > lispworks.txz
Thus probably to get same package but modified with proper FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE 64bit version of mine.
Next
5) pkg add lispworks.txz
-pkg: lispworks.txz is not a valid package: no manifest found
other words I can't nor add nor install my lispworks.txz with pkg
I'm sure mostly that is my newbiest just started from zero knowledge of FreeBSD and all rest, but as self-learning person I would like to find out and fix that as well as all other interesting things))
How may I install LispWorks? May that be done with synth ?

Thanks a lot for your time and patience, any info regarding operation of LispWorks or Allegro CL with FreeBSD is highly appreciated.

Welcome decreo , I also have used LispWorks in the far past ! I am happy there is a Lisper around here:)

As the error message is saying, you are trying to install a pacakge for FreeBSD-10 into FreeBSD-12.
I never had this problem, I started with FreeBSD-11.

Besides trying T-Daemon way, you may contact LispWorks company and ask them politely to update the package. I see from their page their are referring to pkg_add, that command does not exist anymore. Maybe it existed in FreeBSD-10.

Let us know if you make it. In exterme conditions I use the Linux compatibility layer with good success probability.

Maybe it existed in FreeBSD-10
FreeBSD 10 was actually the first version that completely deprecated the old package tools and used the new format exclusively.

I read that documentation too, and thought it was weird because the download page stated that the package was specifically for 10 and up. I suspect the documentation was originally written for older versions, that did use that old format, and the documentation was simply never updated.

A note about the COMPAT layers, you need to install all intermediate versions too. So if you're on 12 you will need to install misc/compat10x and misc/compat11x.

🤗
You're affable community, competent one)

Wrong architecture issue being solved.

1) No changes to be done in
files +MANIFEST +COMPACT_MANIFEST of original LispWorks;
2) Install misc/compat10x and misc/compat11x to be able install 10x package on FreeBSD 12.0 (RELEASE was mine);
3) pkg add packagename - not operational;
4) pkg install packagename from relevant directory is a proper way to install .txz packages
(I was using synth install lispworks71-64bit-7.1.txz)
5) enter
--lwlicenseserial SERIAL --lwlicensekey KEY
from cli and run ./lispworks-7-1-0-amd64-freebsd from /usr/local/bin

Thanks a lot for cooperation,
all the best)

Last edited:
Dear all,
I would like to post official reply from LispWorks support:

"LispWorks was built for FreeBSD 10, but can be installed on FreeBSD 12 if you use:
Code:
env ABI=freebsd:10:x86:64 pkg add lispworks71-64bit-7.1.txz
and same for 71-patches-64bit-7.1.2.txz.
Please also install the compat10x"

This answer was posted here to widen troubleshooting of architecture compatibility someone may experience with LispWorks installation.

Back