Linux to BSD

Debatable? That's fine, because you or anyone else may agree with me.
I can bring you a lot of arguments to support my opinion that Slack is an ideal GNU/Linux distribution. It is the most UNIX-like of the whole herd of Linux distributions.
Christopher Negus describes it in his "Linux Bible" as
Slackware is a clean, basic Linux system, applications that run in Slackware will run on
most other Linux systems as well. In other words, you won’t be encouraged to add a lot of special
Slackware hooks that would prevent software from being portable across a wide range of Linux,
UNIX, and BSD systems

Slackware can easily provide an efficient development workstation environment for technical people
because the distribution doesn’t get in the way of its powerful features.

keeps you as close to the silicon as possible,
I’ve often heard users refer to Slackware as being easier to use than other Linux distributions. To
someone coming from a UNIX or BSD background, this is probably true. You don’t have to wait for
graphical tools to pop up and almost everything is covered on a man page.
I don't mind that Linus Thorvalds is a Fedora Linux devotee.

No Linux Distro Comparison Wars! This thread is about FreeBSD && Linux.

Slackware is a clean, basic Linux system, applications that run in Slackware will run on
most other Linux systems as well. In other words, you won’t be encouraged to add a lot of special
Slackware hooks that would prevent software from being portable across a wide range of Linux,
UNIX, and BSD systems

Isn't that said for almost any linux distro (sans a few that come to mind)?

And DutchDaemon, good point, I just have no life :).. *finds a thread to offer some real help in or something*

Every distro and OS have their particular strengths and weaknesses. These kinds of discussions are like Ford vs Chevy.

Personally; I work 6 days a week so I like an OS that does a lot of the work for me. I don't have time to mess with it.

mooreted said:
Every distro and OS have their particular strengths and weaknesses. These kinds of discussions are like Ford vs Chevy.

Personally; I work 6 days a week so I like an OS that does a lot of the work for me. I don't have time to mess with it.

Of course, some have more of it and some have less of it. But people in this forum are usually using FreeBSD because it's one of those operating systems with less weaknesses and a massive plus of strengths :)

And this is a very biased opinion, but actually it's also a FreeBSD forum. Last not least there are more FreeBSD users migrating from Linux to *BSD than the other way around. There are even many people experienced with different UNIX systems like AIX, HP/UX, Solaris etc.

Hi!
I am a curious Linux-user, first met Unix as SunOS 4.x in -92 and OpenLook. Now-days I run Gentoo thus have total control over my installed system and have everything compiled for my CPUs capabilities. And yes, I like to put some effort in my system one in a while.

Now tell me, what is in freeBSD for me? What will I discover and like if I install freeBSD?

Sell it to me!

Regards
// Erik

I think linux world have so much users only cus they have many sellers/sell managers/pr manageres. As microsoft too.

DutchDaemon said:
I'd rather just overwrite, not append, lme ;)

No, not in a Unix sense but in a mathematical one. ;)

Back