ZFS Linus steps away from ZoL

How many threads in different subforums do we need about this? I think we're up to 3 or 4 now.

Why is this relevant to FreeBSD? We don't use the Linux kernel (duh), and we don't need to worry about non-GPL code in the kernel.
Why is Linus' opinion on file systems relevant? How much expertise does he have? He seems to think the quality of a file system can be measured by benchmarks and kernel interfaces.

Matter-of-fact, why is Linus' opinion on anything relevant to me? His influence today is mostly through a large number of self-appointed fans; his real-world influence is minimal.

By the way, just for clarification: I'm not claiming that Linus is either evil or stupid. On the contrary, he's personally quite a warm and nice guy (had a few beers with him a few times, long ago), and he is quite knowledgeable and sensible about some things. But we (as the FreeBSD community) need to stop having angst about this. And I'm tired of people who are either trolling this forum (in which case we need to throw them out), or having anxiety attacks for no reason (in which case they need psychiatric help).

How many threads in different subforums do we need about this? I think we're up to 3 or 4 now.
Why is this relevant to FreeBSD?
If the issue has popped up simultaneously in 3 of 4 subforums, then it's interest is pretty much self evident.

Its relevance to FreeBSD is directly through the OpenZFS project. It might even be positive for FreeBSD if ZFS is (or continues to be) borked on Linux.

I'm going to refrain from commenting further, because it's going off topic.

Back