Like the old guy in the model T

-

wblock@ said:
PIIX3 is the oldest disk controller available in VirtualBox. That may be another reason to use QEMU. Also, QEMU can pretend the processor is a 486 or Pentium, if needed.

+1

Aha! I thought I saw a trail of bread crumbs down in that rabbit hole! The IDE controller seems to be a show-stopper for Vbox.

QEMU it is then ...

Antique hardware finally running freebsd-1.0.2

I pulled the Bigfoot drive from the old '93 box, and put that disk into a second box, on a second IDE controller. I downloaded the FreeBSD 4.4 ISO, since it's marked as having been released in Sept, 2001. A message (earlier in this thread) had warned me to use an fsck program created before 2002, due to the "file system being too old." I loaded FreeBSD 4.4 onto a drive hooked to the first IDE controller in the second box. I booted FreeBSD 4.4, and tried to fsck the Bigfoot. The fsck failed with a SUPERBLOCK error, and all backup superblocks failed. So, I simply disabled the offending entry in /etc/fstab.

gcc1

This has been a hoot. It was a lot of fun to put together, and cheaper than state fair tickets. Prior to this past weekend, I had dabbled (only a little) with some versions of FreeBSD 3. I worked a fair amount with 4. Hardware is a problem with these early versions, so wblock's work on the QEMU image could enable other people to take the ride. Most people don't have my junk drawers :)

Yes, we still need the QEMU install to work. I will probably not have time to work on it soon, but have an idea of someone to contact who definitely knows. We'll see.

Back