Solved Lightdm NVIDIA Issue?

I've been struggling with this issue for weeks, searching, and looking everywhere, but to no avail.

Basically, I have installed and configured Lightdm default options on Freebsd 13.1-RELEASE, nvidia-driver-470.86 and, slick-greeter.
My favorite WM is DWM, so I've created a desktop xsession for DWM, but I've also installed LXDE and Openbox to debug and test.

I can start any desktop session by command line issuing a startx command, having previously adapted .xinitrc accordingly.
But I cannot start a session (any session) from Lightdm: blank screen and then back to the login window.

The logs don't reveal much, all that I can see is that Lightdm releases the Seat for an unknown reason and closes the session.
The Xorg.log is a little more verbose: xf86OpenConsole: VT_SETMODE VT_PROCESS failed(EE).

❯ freebsd-version -kru ; uname -aKU
13.1-RELEASE
13.1-RELEASE
13.1-RELEASE
FreeBSD host.domain 13.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE releng/13.1-n250148-fc952ac2212 GENERIC amd64 1301000 1301000
❯ lightdm --show-config
[LightDM]
A minimum-vt=9
A lock-memory=false

[Seat:*]
A greeter-session=slick-greeter
A session-wrapper=/usr/local/etc/lightdm/Xsession

Sources:
A /usr/local/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

Any suggestions/help will be much appreciated.

I am also using lightdm-1.30.0_3 and nvidia-driver-470.86, using lightdm-gtk-greeter. Works well, I like it.

Code:
   [LightDM]
A  minimum-vt=9
A  lock-memory=true

[Seat:*]
A  greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter
A  session-wrapper=/usr/local/etc/lightdm/Xsession

Sources:
A  /usr/local/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

Here it goes;

Bash:
❯ cat ~/.xession-errors                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
(empty)
❯ ls -l ~/.xinitrc                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
-rwxr-xr-x  1 mda  mda  280 Jun 30 17:18 /home/mda/.xinitrc

❯ cat ~/.xinitrc                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
# xinitrc launch script
xrdb -merge .Xresources
slstatus &
feh --randomize --bg-fill ~/backgrounds/* &
# mixer pcm 100
xset +fp /home/mda/.fonts
xset fp rehash
picom -b 
owncloud &
exec ~/bin/startdwm
# exec $1

And the dmw loop:

Bash:
❯ cat bin/startdwm                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
#!/usr/local/bin/zsh

# relaunch DWM if the binary changes, otherwise bail
csum=""
new_csum=$(shasum $(which dwm))
while true
do
    if [ "$csum" != "$new_csum" ]
    then
        csum=$new_csum
        dwm
    else
        exit 0
    fi
    new_csum=$(shasum $(which dwm))
    sleep 0.5
done

I've disabled picom, (not uninstalled) same thing.

Bash:
❯ cat /etc/group | grep video                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
video:*:44:mda,lightdm

So, this is interesting…

Reading the post above, I stumbled upon an old .profile containing this:

Bash:
❯ cat .profile                                                                                                                                                                                                       
# $FreeBSD: releng/12.0/bin/sh/dot.profile 338374 2018-08-29 16:59:19Z brd $
#
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:~/bin
export PATH
HOME=/root
export HOME
TERM=${TERM:-xterm}
export TERM
PAGER=less
export PAGER

# Query terminal size; useful for serial lines.
if [ -x /usr/bin/resizewin ] ; then /usr/bin/resizewin -z ; fi

# Uncomment to display a random cookie on each login.
# if [ -x /usr/bin/fortune ] ; then /usr/bin/fortune -s ; fi
. "$HOME/.cargo/env

(Note the hard-coded HOME=/root)

Removed the file, and replaced by a clean, standard .profile and problem solved.

Really empty?

> cat ~/.xsession-errors (one s was omitted)

Is zsh fully compatible with lightdm?
Adding tracking lines to script, for example:
echo pass1..n >> /home/mda/dmw.log

And you were right again, .xsession-errors was complaining about not being able to parse /root/.cargo/env, which, in light of the above, was another clue of the mess on .profile.

Thanks again and sorry for the noise...

Back