Other LightDM-Greeter login name says "User &"

I just installed LightDM (and greeter and settings). The default selected user after boot is "User &". Any idea why that is and what it means? Googling for that term was not very successful.

I would much rather have 2 input fields by default, one for the username and one for the password, without that menu at all. Does anyone know which option in lightdm.conf that is?

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I edited the file directly, but it's a dedicated test system. In my post-install script where I set up my users automatically, I use pw.
What I learned is that I need to add a field to enter a proper user name in my post install script, otherwise I will get a strange default value like "User &".

On FreeBSD, the "master file" is /etc/master.passwd. If you change it, you need to run pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd afterwards. This also recreates /etc/passwd.

Still, it's much better to just use the (standard) tools SirDice suggested.

Theoretical background: A classic files-based user database on Unix consists of /etc/passwd and /etc/group. These files need to be world-readable because they contain all the fields for users and groups, and unfortunately, the password hash is included as well. Nowadays, this hash will just be * for every account in /etc/passwd to prevent attacks attempting to crack the hashes, the real hashes are stored somewhere else and are not world-readable. Different systems use different approaches to implement this; tools like vipw(8) et al should do the right thing on all systems for updating the user database.

Back