Solved libucl

I'm confused - doing man libucl gives me all the nice documentation on libucl(). However, I don't seem to have it on my 13.2 system; is this an optional feature that needs to be compiled and installed separately?

Obviously, I could install something from ports, but I'm intentionally looking for something in base.

Hope someone can shed some light on this library and whether I'm doing something wrong?

Good test here to see what broke with your manpages:

Now trying to figure out WHY they broke could be harder.

Possible scenarios.
On old Installations bsdinstall (maybe it was sysinstall) allowed to install FreeBSD without manpages.
Maybe something there is carrying over.

The other scenario is you build from source and man stuff got messed up. Solution provided.

libprivateucl.so is installed in base, which is what the man page is related to (and derived from). it's probably installed with the private infix so to not conflict with installing libucl from pkg or ports, that's just a guess though.

Ah, that's got to be it. I heard before about libucl not being "public" in base - didn't realize it was renamed to something else...
While not being "public" in base, it is still used by 3rd party programs, e.g. net/gitup:
Code:
$ ldd /usr/local/bin/gitup | fgrep 'libprivateucl.so'
        libprivateucl.so.1 => /usr/lib/libprivateucl.so.1 (0x3c24eb9a5000)

Here’s a convo about this (and lua) from discord:

Pat: I am working on some tools that I would like to work on base with no other ports installed. I'd like to use Lua for scripting, and UCL for configuration. Is there any reason it would be a bad idea to use `/usr/libexec/flua` in my scripts, and link to `libprivateucl`?

I assume they're private for a reason... on the other hand, what I'm thinking of is kind of like my personal extension to base, so depending on internals is probably fine?

Kyle: I think our general stance is that you're more than welcome to use them, but you can't be surprised if we break your use case even between minor releases

(there’s a bit of followup in discord)

Back