Solved Trail for leting users to login to all desktops on the local network ?

Hi Guys,

Is there something I could read to provide the same kind of service as Active Directory on a small network desktop ?
The need is to let users to login any machine and to retrieve an access to their data.

At least, allow them to log to any desktop on the network would be cool.

Any idea ?

Is OpenLDAP or SambaAD a possibility ?
Will FreeBSD delegate to such a directory server the credential check ?

Thanks !

Is there something I could read to provide the same kind of service as Active Directory on a small network desktop ?
LDAP. Or a combination of Kerberos and LDAP (which is what Active Directory essentially is). Kerberos allows you to do fancy things like SSO (single sign-on).

If you configure it correctly, yes. It doesn't work "automagically", it needs to be configured.

At the risk of being pummeled and assuming that the workstations are on the same LAN, I'd suggest NIS/YP + NFS since both are built in.

Hi Guys,

The need is to let users to login any machine and to retrieve an access to their data.

At least, allow them to log to any desktop on the network would be cool.

Any idea ?

Is OpenLDAP or SambaAD a possibility ?

Thanks !

Depressing a bit.

OK, NFS is your friend.

Alt: https://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-net-services.html

I didn't dig for "network login" use case. For the NFS, not sure it is a friend.
OK, NFS is your friend.

Alt: https://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-net-services.html
NFS will probably not be able to cope with this kind of use case:
That's where active directory look interesting in the Windows world : local data are synchronized, not sure how, with a server.
When connected, user data & files are synchronized with the server.
When not in the local network, latest known version of the data & files are embedded.
At that step, is logged in another computer on the network, the latest synchronized version is available to the user.
Then, when the laptop get back connected, it synchronized back.

Usual question on synchronization : not sure about how potential conflict are managed.

I'm not sure NFS is able to do that. I didn't catch that in the doc.

Anyway, my first important use case is the "network login" use case. I need to dig this first. The "session" use case is nice to have but not mandatory.
Same scenario can happen for the login, credential server might not be reachable. If a login was possible yesterday on the laptop, I'll need to be able to login today, even if not at home with the credential server reachable.

NFS will probably not be able to cope with this kind of use case:
That's where active directory look interesting in the Windows world : local data are synchronized, not sure how, with a server.
When connected, user data & files are synchronized with the server.
There's nothing to sync. NFS is a Network File System. So the filesystem is either mounted or not. If it's not mounted there's no filesystem to write to. For laptops (mobile) this is not a good solution. For desktops that are always on the company's network it works rather well and has been the de facto standard for decades.

We all says the same things: No NFS in my use case involving laptop.
No Windows on my network.

I'm just trying to setup the same Active Directory service with FreeBSD (or part of AD service)

Back