Learning postgresql

I want to learn postgresql , i.e. administrating & programming.
But i find many books dissatisfying.
If you a good book or online resource youtube or website, feel free to share.
PS1: postgresql is powerfull as it knows alot of json and you can do many things done by nosql databases.
PS2:Should i tune /etc/sysctl.conf for postresql ?

My first stop for any doubts with PostgreSQL is its manual. Perhaps you didn't consider this because of the name "Manual", as a matter of fact it is "The PostgreSQL Book" written by the PostgreSQL developer group. For offline reading, I prefer the PDF version, but there is a online version too. The book is very well organized by chapters, and my PDF reader honours the Table of Contents facility and it allows me to enter any keywords and phrases in a search box. The A4-PDF of PostgreSQL 14 got 2785 pages, and it is not only the mere quantity which makes this outstanding, but also the quality of the presentation is simply perfect.

Offline PDF versions:

Online version:

This is one of the best written "Manuals" of computer software, and whether open or closed source, it is hard to find a better one.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-02 um 11.28.42.png

Two sidenotes sevendogbsd. Sometime you can normalize more than is necessary for a given the problem. But how do we know ?
And sometimes it is better to think in function of objects. For the latter you simply add an integer primary key value which increases each time. There are even different schools if you should do this or not.
Some sql books don't even explain a join nicely.

Agree, which is why I said “within reason”. I just didn’t know if you understood the concept but it looks like you do.

And sometimes it is better to think in function of objects.
Please don't mix relational concepts with object-oriented thinking. Much blood has been spilled on that battlefield.

I love them both, but they don't go together.

For the latter you simply add an integer primary key value which increases each time.
Are you referring to sequences? They have their uses, but not every table should have a surrogate key. Sometimes your data will have a nice, invariant natural key, like an email address. Please use it.

Back