ld-elf.so.1 not found

When I try to execute a binary, I get this error:
Code:
ELF interpreter /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
Abort trap

I think this has something to do with 32-bit compatibiltiy on amd64, but I'm really not sure what exactly is missing.

It usually helps to describe the system (OS, kernel, including customisations) this is happening on.

do you mean "a binary" or "any binary"?

if this file (/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1) is really gone, every dynamically linked binary will refuse to run. however, you can still use the (statically linked) rescue binaries.

for example, to check if the file is there:
Code:
/rescue/ls /usr/libexec

DutchDaemon said:
It usually helps to describe the system (OS, kernel, including customisations) this is happening on.

Here is my uname output

Code:
FreeBSD reddevil 8.0-RC1 FreeBSD 8.0-RC1 #2: Sun Oct  4 10:22:22 EDT 2009     root@reddevil:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/REDDEVIL  amd64

Here is my kernel config: http://filebin.ca/cbcowa/REDDEVIL

bb said:
do you mean "a binary" or "any binary"?

if this file (/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1) is really gone, every dynamically linked binary will refuse to run. however, you can still use the (statically linked) rescue binaries.

for example, to check if the file is there:
Code:
/rescue/ls /usr/libexec

I meant "a certain one", super pi: ftp://pi.super-computing.org/FreeBSD/

Code:
file /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: symbolic link to `/libexec/ld-elf.so.1'

The problem, missing /libexec/ld-elf.so.1, is consistent with trying to
make installworld
from an i386 to an amd64 environment on the same platform. I'd suggest using a cd or usb drive that has a bootable amd64 system and install afresh.

You can recover your i386 system, if you have a complete /usr/obj with i386 built files from which you can copy; you'll need to use statically built commands, such as "/rescue/chflags noschg" and /rescue/cp to reconstruct your system.

It is possible to create an amd64 bootable system from a running i386 but only if you're desperate and enjoy using /rescue command and tediously copying directory contents. I'd then suggest a reboot and use the usual
make install{kernel,world}
commands to ensure everything is correct.

Clearly a fresh wipe and install is highly preferable.

dbbolton said:
Code:
FreeBSD reddevil 8.0-RC1 FreeBSD 8.0-RC1 #2: Sun Oct  4 10:22:22 EDT 2009     root@reddevil:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/REDDEVIL  amd64
FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE went End-of-Life in November 2010, why are you still on the release candidate for 8.0?

I would also suggest updating your system to 8.3.

Good catch SirDice.
I experienced a similar problem when attempting to upgrade my FreeBSD 9.1-BETA1 system from 32 to 64bits. (Its a Core2Duo)

Because the problem seems to be timeless, for whatever reason, I thought that I'd make a contribution for others' benefit and offer an explanation and possible alternatives. :)

Josef Vit you are responding to a post that's almost 5 years old. Please look at the dates before responding.

Back