launching applications

Hi there.
I installed for the first time Gnome from packages. Since now I used Gnome in Linux but it was preconfigured.

How can I set up the Power Management?
My monitor turn off after a while but if I go to System > Preferences > Power Management
nothing happens

I installed from ports Transmission bit torrent.

How can I launch it?
How can I add it in the applications > Internet menu?

many thanks

If you know execution file ("transmission" for transmission;), you may write it in Alt+F2 (standart hotkey) popup windows

You need to install sysutils/gnome-power-manager. It's not installed, that's why nothing happens when you click on it.

Ole said:
If you know execution file ("transmission" for transmission;), you may write it in Alt+F2 (standart hotkey) popup windows
But I don't. During installing everything went well but now I don't know hot to launch it ...
I tried whereis transmission and locate but no chance ...

SirDice said:
You need to install sysutils/gnome-power-manager.
But I don't need power manager. I just want to disable switching off the monitor. It's not possible without installing something else?

hirohitosan said:
But I don't. During installing everything went well but now I don't know hot to launch it ...
I tried whereis transmission and locate but no chance ...

Try the following:

Code:
% pkg_info -xL transmission | less

"transmission" is a meta-port, and the executable is probably called transmission-something. The above command will show you all files installed by the transmission meta-port. My guess is that you will find an executable in /usr/local/bin.

You're right.

I installed transmission-web which I don't know what it is.

After installing from /usr/ports/net-p2p/transmission I could find the executable in /usr/local/bin/transmission

thanks

SirDice said:
You need to install sysutils/gnome-power-manager. It's not installed, that's why nothing happens when you click on it.

would this make me shut down the system from the gui without having to go & type shutdown in terminal

hirohitosan said:
You're right.

I installed transmission-web which I don't know what it is.

After installing from /usr/ports/net-p2p/transmission I could find the executable in /usr/local/bin/transmission

thanks

transmission-web is the web interface to a running transmission client in a remote or headless mode. It's not a required part of transmission, but if you want it it can be activated in Options.

A transmission-daemon startup script

Hello,

I am using the transmission web-ui on my headless machine. Here is how it goes:

The installed ports:
Code:
pundit# portversion -vv | grep transmission
transmission-cli            =  up-to-date with port 
transmission-daemon         =  up-to-date with port 
transmission-web            =  up-to-date with port

The startup script:
Code:
pundit# cat /usr/local/etc/rc.d/transmission 
#!/bin/sh
#
# PROVIDE: transmission
# REQUIRE: DAEMON
#
# Add the following lines to /etc/rc.conf to run transmission:
#
#transmission_enable="YES"

. /etc/rc.subr

name="transmission"
rcvar=${name}_enable

load_rc_config ${name}

: ${transmission_enable="NO"}
: ${transmission_user="nobody"}
: ${transmission_args=""}

command=/usr/local/bin/transmission-daemon
command_args="-g /usr/local/etc/transmission "$transmission_args

run_rc_command "$1"

The configuration:
Code:
pundit# cat /etc/rc.conf | grep transmission
transmission_enable="YES"
transmission_flags="-a 192.168*.*,212.*.*.* -t -u USER -v PASS -w /mnt/Torrents"

Replace USER and PASS with ones that are useful for you (it's not necessary to be and existing user/pass on the FreeBSD box). Replace /mnt/Torrents with a folder you'll use on your system(writable by 'nobody" user).

For more flags look the man page:
Code:
man transmission-daemon

That's all. Now go to http://torrents.FreeBSD.org:8080/ and get some torrents for testing and seeding.

The original source of all that is here http://barg.hitoridake.com/2008/10/transmission-clutch-gear/

Nickolaev

Code:
pundit# cat /etc/rc.conf | grep transmission
transmission_enable="YES"
transmission_flags="-a 192.168*.*,212.*.*.* -t -u USER -v PASS -w /mnt/Torrents"
Guess that should be put in /etc/rc.conf.local as this is configuration for a port not for a service in the base system

Furtermore, should it not read
Code:
transmission_args="-a 192.168*.*,212.*.*.* -t -u USER -v PASS -w /mnt/Torrents"
as the rc.d script uses transmission_args and not _flags?

hirohitosan said:
But I don't need power manager. I just want to disable switching off the monitor. It's not possible without installing something else?

Add xset s 0 -dpms to your desktop sturtup items.

Back