latex editing, lemmas, theorems.

Writing a small paper in math is not always easy.
With Lyx is struggled alot with the user interface even for very simple things.
Writing a simple formula in texstudio or texmaker is very easy.
But what is best texstudio or texmaker ?
And how do you make a descent numbering in a document with a lot of lemmas , proofs,theorems, etc ... ?
How to tell all my lemmas look like this and I just fill in the parts,differences.

I've used editors/texstudio a lot but currently using editors/texmaker. The reason I switched was just because I think Texstudio is bit bloated but both work pretty well, and the choice is more about personal preference (IMO); however I don't need/do mathematical papers.

Btw, my preferred editor was Gummi but that was abbandoned by the developer forked and to port it again would be too annoying. :)

I usually use this Wikibook when I need to find how to do something with latex.

I used TeXmacs for my phd thesis. it is a great software. But, it is a big thing. Nowadays i think Overleaf is more than adequate for the majority of LaTeX necessity.

But, it is a big thing. Nowadays i think Overleaf is more than adequate for the majority of LaTeX necessity.

Really? But overleaf is massive; the sheer number of servers, database and infrastructure around is overkill. And then I think it runs TexLive internally which is also massive!

Yes; granted it isn't running on *your* computers ;)

Nowadays i think Overleaf is more than adequate for the majority of LaTeX necessity.
The downside with Overleaf is that it does not support github/gitlab, at least not for the free accounts. And I like to version control my LaTeX files, especially for the larger documents.

After the attempted land grab of hotmail getting all rights and patents of stuff you send by their servers, I am very weary of any cloud based solutions. Check the fine print.

The downside with Overleaf is that it does not support github/gitlab, at least not for the free accounts. And I like to version control my LaTeX files, especially for the larger documents.

well, there are many upsides;) as you don't need to install a gazillion packages, you can work on the same document from different computers and different OS. You can work with others (few) without complications.

personally i consider GitHub a monster of complexity which i don't need, I work mostly alone so for me RCS is enough. Usually i publish software in my group GitHub, but, that would not be necessary for development, at all.

bye

GitHub a monster of complexity which i don't need, I work mostly alone so for me RCS is enough.
GitHub is indeed overkill for what I need. What do you mean with RCS? I know it stands for revision control system. Is it also a software package like subversion? What is the link?

I use GitHub because git is the most known and used RCS and knowing it well gives me a plus on the job as well.

Really? But overleaf is massive; the sheer number of servers, database and infrastructure around is overkill. And then I think it runs TexLive internally which is also massive!

true, but it is not on my computer. Give a shot to TeXmacs, that is really beautiful but, it is in many ways far more difficult to master than LaTeX. I gave it up, It is really worth if you use it at least once in a month. If you have a teaching position that is super-reccomended.

Yes; granted it isn't running on *your* computers ;)
Exactly. Sometimes this irritates me a lot. As for example in Fusion360 or in GoogleDocs, where I can't download the source of what I am creating. But, if i remember well, from Overleaf I can download all what I type and recompile on my machine if I wish. So, I consider it an honest online tool. It simplifies my life without kidnapping my freedom.

Back