Solved Laptop Video driver upgrade?

I am presently working with an Acer Aspire One laptop for one of our local amateur radio clubs connected with the local American Legion. I have installed FreeBSD 12.1 RELEASE on it via FuryBSD with the GUI included with that. Although everything is working very well, I ask that someone in the "collective wisdom" here tell me whether there would be any advantage to changing the video driver to something more appropriate for this particular little machine.

Examining dmesg.boot by dmesg -a | more, I find that the video adapter is an on-board Intel Pineview (M) SVGA Controller, M standing for Mobile.

Present resolution is 640 X 480, which given the small size of this laptop is entirely adequate.

Comments/suggestions?

Ken Gordon

Yes, thank you. I have read the rules for this forum. I did not think I was talking about FuryBSD per se. I only mentioned it to indicate that the GUI was from that source. All the rest is straight unadulterated FreeBSD 12.0, and I have tried very hard to limit my questions here to only FreeBSD issues. That GUI is based on X-Org.

I will not mention FuryBSD again.

Also, thank you very much for the pointer to the Graphic wiki for FreeBSD. From that I find that the Intel video chip in this particular laptop is from 2010, and that the ports contain the necessary drivers.

Thanks again.

Ken Gordon

Last edited:
Back