Laptop not 'reading' install DVD

Hi. I decided today that I would try out FreeBSD on my laptop, and I'm currently using Ubuntu. I've burned FreeBSD 7.2, the .iso file, to a dvd and I shutdown my laptop to start it up and start to install it. But I do not see the usual 'Press any key to boot from CD / DVD'. I have no idea where I've gone wrong. I've tried to search around for a bit, but I can't really find anything.

Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Just to make sure: you burned it as an image, not as a file, right?

I used GnomeBaker's option 'DATA CD', but last time I used another burner, I will try to burn another cd, since its not rw, with the last burner tool.

It is not a data CD you need! You need to burn it as an ISO image CD.

CodeBlock said:
Another thing to check is make sure your BIOS is set to boot from the CD drive *before* a hard drive.
I got that in place, didn't work.
DutchDaemon said:
It is not a data CD you need! You need to burn it as an ISO image CD.
/facepalm. Well yes, there you see, that's how smart I am. Well I'm burning as an image as we speak.

I think it's about time bios manufacturers implement a system to boot from data disks containing unextracted isos. Far too many people get this wrong :p

Would be quite convenient (i.e for linux magazines) to put loads of isos onto a blueray or hddvd for their readers to boot from rather than having to craft a bespoke grub midification.

Back