Solved KLD if_en.ko depends on atm - not avail or version mismatch

I'm getting a lot of errors that read:

Code:
Dec 30 09:54:59 gamanjiru kernel: KLD if_en.ko: depends on atm - not available or version mismatch
Dec 30 09:54:59 gamanjiru kernel: linker_load_file: Unsupported file type

The source does not seem to be the jails, since stopping jails doesn't stop the error notifications. I've synced source, built world and kernel, installed both and yet the errors persist. I have a mildly customized kernel config, but I can't find any refrence to either if_en.ko nor "atm"

Code:
 kldstat -v | grep if
       237 if_lo
       104 if_ixgbe
       235 if_faith
       239 if_vlan
       236 if_gif
       238 if_tun

Code:
# kldload if_en.ko
kldload: an error occurred while loading the module. Please check dmesg(8) for more details.

I'm really not sure what's calling if_en.ko (networking is working fine). Nor any idea why anything would ask for a "Midway-based ATM interface". There's no ATM hardware on the box.

Code:
if_en
isn't referenced at all in /bootpool/boot/loader.confand /bootpool/boot/defaults/loader.conf shows

Code:
"if_en_load="NO"                 # Midway-based ATM interfaces"

Any hints of where to look?

You may be better asking on the freebsd-net mailing list. I know there's plans to remove ATM related stuff and the en driver was effected, but I don't think it should effect you.

If it's an easy option, try updating to a later release, 10.3 goes EOL in 4 months.

I'll give the mailing list a try. I was planning on holding off for an extended support release in the 11.x family. Major updates have, occasionally, been a significant impact and can be especially challenging remote from the hardware.

I made a request on freebsd-net, but the results from the following search came in so I'm sharing.

I did:
# find . -type f -not -path "*/jails/*" -a -exec grep -HIl if_en '{}' \; on one of my jails (all report the error, this one doesn't have much data to traverse) and then on each of the non-barf results # grep -n if_en (result)

Remotely relevant results were limited to:

Code:
/basejail/boot/defaults/loader.conf
313:if_en_load="NO"                     # Midway-based ATM interfaces

/basejail/usr/include/net/if_enc.h
27: * $FreeBSD: release/10.3.0/sys/net/if_enc.h 181627 2008-08-12 09:05:01Z vanhu $

/basejail/usr/include/net/if_gif.h
113:int gif_encapcheck(const struct mbuf *, int, int, void *);
116:int in_gif_encapcheck(const struct mbuf *, int, int, void *);
121:int in6_gif_encapcheck(const struct mbuf *, int, int, void *);

A few other results from irc/minibif, /usr/ports/multimedia /usr/local/include/php/Zend/zend_compile.h but clearly not relevant. Very curious... Trying
# find . -type f -not -path "*/jails/*" -not -path "*/proc/*" -not -path "*/backups/*" -not -path "*/pristine/*" -not -path "*/log/*" -not -path "*/ports/*" -a -exec grep -HIn if_en '{}' \; on the host now.

Code:
/basejail/usr/include/net/if_enc.h 27: * $FreeBSD: release/10.3.0/sys/net/if_enc.h 181627 2008-08-12 09:05:01Z vanhu $

It looks like you used the source from base/release/10.3.0/ instead of base/releng/10.3.

I spoke too soon. The error is still being generated about 4 times per second.
Code:
Jan  6 13:49:47 gamanjiru kernel: KLD if_en.ko: depends on atm - not available or version mismatch
Jan  6 13:49:47 gamanjiru kernel: linker_load_file: Unsupported file type
Jan  6 13:49:47 gamanjiru kernel: KLD if_en.ko: depends on atm - not available or version mismatch
Jan  6 13:49:47 gamanjiru kernel: linker_load_file: Unsupported file type
Jan  6 13:49:48 gamanjiru kernel: KLD if_en.ko: depends on atm - not available or version mismatch
Jan  6 13:49:48 gamanjiru kernel: linker_load_file: Unsupported file type
Jan  6 13:49:48 gamanjiru kernel: KLD if_en.ko: depends on atm - not available or version mismatch
Jan  6 13:49:48 gamanjiru kernel: linker_load_file: Unsupported file type
Jan  6 13:49:49 gamanjiru kernel: KLD if_en.ko: depends on atm - not available or version mismatch
Jan  6 13:49:49 gamanjiru kernel: linker_load_file: Unsupported file type
Jan  6 13:49:49 gamanjiru kernel: KLD if_en.ko: depends on atm - not available or version mismatch
Jan  6 13:49:49 gamanjiru kernel: linker_load_file: Unsupported file type
I did rebuild the kernel and world with

rm -rf /usr/src
svn co [URL='https://forums.freebsd.org/svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/10.3']svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/10.3[/URL] /usr/src

(thanks for the astute observation about 10.3.0 though, that was a mistake with different consequences)

There's no midway hardware, nor any ATM hardware. I can post the output of pciconf -lbcev or kldstat, but I don't see anything obvious. Is there a way to trace what process is creating the error or what it is looking for? I'm nonplussed as to why if_en.ko would be requested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you using a custom kernel? And did you set anything in /etc/src.conf?

OK, super weird: I am using a slightly customized kernel - just integrating drivers mostly. No customization of /etc/src.conf. I recompiled all ports across all jails and the messages have stopped. No clue why and now that it has stopped, I am not sure how to do any further investigation. Thank you very much for the kind help and effort. It may very well be that there was some problematic interaction that was resolved by following your instructions all the way to the end.

Back