Kingspec SSD install

My system is installed on a Crucial M500 240GB MLC for a few years now and zfs as a default fs. I don't have swap on it because swap is not good for SSD's.

I don't have swap on it because swap is not good for SSD's.

Is that true? What do we do when the day comes when mechnical-magnetic drives don't exist? How about M.2 SSD drives; is swap bad for them to? How about audio/video transcoding processes?

SSD's have a relatively limited lifetime measured in number of times data is written in each cell block. Although such number has gotten big enough that using SSD as storage drives should not be a concern anymore, Swap memory, as a backup for ram memory, can potentially be written on pretty frequently, thus reducing the overall life of the SSD.

SSD's have a relatively limited lifetime measured in number of times data is written in each cell block. .......can potentially be written on pretty frequently, thus reducing the overall life of the SSD.

Yeay knew that, but I didn't think swap was that bad. Unless you got a badly loaded machine lacking a bunch of real ram. I'm more concerned about frequent video transcoding, now that would do a lot of writing.

Back