Killing a terminal session

How do you kill a terminal session and get it to return to the login prompt?

I was using ssh and managed to hang a program I couldn't get out of so tried to kill the session from another session ps -aux and then kill xxx. The hung terminal displays 'Killed by signal 15.' Running ps -aux again show another process id attatched to that terminal, but even though I kill it, the login prompt does not return.
What to do?

Run ps dax to see the process tree. Here is how it looks like on my end:

Code:
  PID TT  STAT        TIME COMMAND
  572  -  Ss       0:00.02 |-- /usr/sbin/sshd
37332  -  Ss       0:00.02 | `-- sshd: root@pts/0 (sshd)
37334  0  Ss       0:00.04 |   `-- -csh (csh)
37337  0  R+       0:00.00 |     `-- ps dax

Kill sshd and shell processes for your TTY.

However, AFAIK, authentication is made by the ssh(1); there is no concept of a login prompt (this is not telnet(1)). I don't believe you can "return" to the login prompt. Just kill your session and open a new one.

Run ps dax to see the process tree. Here is how it looks like on my end:

Code:
  PID TT  STAT        TIME COMMAND
  572  -  Ss       0:00.02 |-- /usr/sbin/sshd
37332  -  Ss       0:00.02 | `-- sshd: root@pts/0 (sshd)
37334  0  Ss       0:00.04 |   `-- -csh (csh)
37337  0  R+       0:00.00 |     `-- ps dax

Kill sshd and shell processes for your TTY.

However, AFAIK, authentication is made by the ssh(1); there is no concept of a login prompt (this is not telnet(1)). I don't believe you can "return" to the login prompt. Just kill your session and open a new one.

Whenever you exit from a virtual terminal a login prompt appears. This has nothing to do with telnet. I was in an ssh when the program I was running hung. I tried to break out of it hoping it would terminate the ssh session and bring me back to my terminal session. That is the one which has stopped.
ps dax shows:-

1988 v1 Is+ 0:00:00 |-- /usr/libexec/getty Pc ttyv1

If I kill -9 1988 it simply starts another process with the same details but ttyv1 remains dead.

I see; you're asking about virtual terminals. Can't help you to recover a virtual console gone in a bad state, but here is how to disconnect from a frozen ssh(1) client session: while in console, where ssh is running, press Enter, ~ (tilde), . (dot).

Imagine this working same as Ctrl+C for ssh, except ssh normally transmits Ctrl+C to the remote host; this sequence will stop it.

Speaking of which, perhaps ssh left your terminal in "cooked" mode and you'll have to reset(1) it. Try to do it blindly, i.e. change to given virtual terminal, Enter, root, Enter, password, Enter, reset, Enter or use Ctrl-J, instead of Enter.

Or you might try watch -iW ttyv0 from another terminal (change ttyv0 with respective TTY), and try to login and reset from there.

Back