keybindings in the forum editor

jrm@

Developer
I asked this in a followup to a post a few months ago, but didn't get a response. Maybe I should have put it in a separate thread, so I'll try again.

In the forums editor, C-b in bound to entering bold tags. I have emacs-style key bindings setup in my browser, so I'm constantly intending to go back a character, but instead enter bold tags. Is there an easy way to turn off the binding of C-b to bold tags?

I don't know, but I do see that Chrome does not have these key bindings (e.g. Ctl-U performs a Chrome menu option), whereas Firefox does have them (Ctl-U prints the tags). I have, to the best of my knowledge, never installed or edited any key bindings anywhere. This would suggest it's browser-dependent (or 'local-setting-dependent').

I'm using Firefox with gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs" in ~/.gtkrc-2.0, so I probably shouldn't have said I'm modifying the key bindings.

It's interesting that all browsers I tried inserted the BB codes except Chromium (I tried Firefox, Opera, xxxterm, Midori and uzbl), so maybe Chromium is blocking the javascript that inserts the codes. Of course, disabling javascript prevents the codes from being inserted.

vBulletin manuals didn't turn up anything, so maybe a greasemonkey hack is called for.

Try using Conkeror. In order to trigger onkeypress event in vbulletin_textedit.js there you'd have to prefix them with C-q or make them $fallthrough in a page-mode which can be overriden with C-z prefix.

fonz said:
Serves you right :e

Fonz :)wq)

Yeah, I feel confused and dirty using Emacs on FreeBSD. I want to like vi (smaller, in /usr/bin, etc.), but the modes just make my head spin. My brain prefers the key-combination madness. By the way, my solution for the BB codes is to use the It's all Text Firefox extension, so I can edit textboxes directly in the glorious editor. :beergrin

Back