Solved Kernel panic!

Attachments

• APC.png
    APC.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 420
If it was me on your shoes, I'll boot from a rescue USB memory stick, mount the slice where /boot/ is and remove that offending switch.
In the case I didn't have a rescue stick, I'll download a FreeBSD installer and use its "Live" option (the rightmost option of the three it offers right after booting).

That's good advice. I might also add; that you may be able to get away with choosing single-user mode, and disable-acpi in the boot menu, and going from there. Booting to single-user will allow you to mount the needed slice, and change acpi hint you made.

HTH!

--Chris

It should be possible to change these settings interactively during the boot process.
In the boot menu choose "escape to loader prompt", then enter "show", there should be the options from loader.conf and device.hints. With "set" they should be changeable. With "boot" the machine should start.
(see Handbook, Boot Process, Stage Three)

In the case I didn't have a rescue stick, I'll download a FreeBSD installer and use its "Live" option (the rightmost option of the three it offers right after booting).
And how to mount the virtualbox HDD that is in ZFS file system? Generally the HDD of the guest system is ada0p2. This is displayed from the Live CD root of the FreeBSD installer.
Chris_H said:
Booting to single-user will allow you to mount the needed slice, and change acpi hint you made.
I already tried and it didn't work.

Attachments

• apcn.png
    apcn.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 261
Appears from the image, that you were able to access the drive. Why not mount it r/w, and change the hint you (mistakenly) changed from 1 to 0?
After doing so, a reboot should accept the hint.

--Chris

In the boot menu choose "escape to loader prompt", then enter "show", there should be the options from loader.conf and device.hints. With "set" they should be changeable. With "boot" the machine should start.

The solution was that of the PMc user, in the start menu loader, press the esc key, then type show, press the enter key several times to display all the information, then type set hint.acpi.0.disabled="0", then type boot , and the system continues to the root of the system, as root, remove that hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" line from the /boot/device.hints directory, and your system will restart normally, thanks for the help to the users.

Either boot but maybe it's better to use boot -s (single user mode) which can help you to restore the damage without affecting anything else.

Thanks for the feedback, teo Glad it worked.

In any case, we should consider this: if for some reason the kernel does not want to boot (and there are a couple of possible reasons), how can we still access the system? Do we have a rescue stick, or disk, or pluggable HDD or whatever that has been tested to bringup the system for maintenance? It is a good plan to consider this beforehand (just as it is a good idea to consider how we might do a bare-metal-recovery in case it becomes necessary).

.......how can we still access the system? Do we have a rescue stick, or disk, or pluggable HDD or whatever that has been tested to bringup the system for maintenance?
The method of access to the system is the method traditional HDD and as described in the solution of the comment. There are other methods such as "single user mode" and I end up in kernel panic in this case as viewing the first image, the other method was using the Live CD installer of FreeBSD that is more complicated and I could not mount the HDD to ZFS files, as shown in the second image.

Greetings!

Back