Solved Kernel panic vesa module not found (for boot splash)

Hello there,

I'm running 10.2-RELEASE with GENERIC kernel.
I'm trying to use a boot splash screen and did the implementation right according to the FreeBSD handbook and the few threads here in the board including the correct file format via GIMP.

When I boot with boot splash configured it throws a kernel panic and tells me that the VESA module is not loaded (see attachment). I have VESA drivers installed, but do I have to tell the system to specifically load the VESA module?

Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DSC_0110.JPG
    DSC_0110.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 1,556
Last edited:
So do I have to recompile the kernel with sc? If so why isn't this described in the according part of the handbook?
This also seems to be like a lot of effort required in order to enable a simple splash screen?
In other threads and via search engines I've discovered that most people can use this feature without altering the kernel config or the like.

According to this (very old) Thread splash-screen-on-bootup.190 this is only supported on i386 architecture? I have amd64 (Intel Core i3 3217U with 10.2-release-amd64). Since the thread is from the time when FreeBSD 7 was concurrent does this still apply?

Last edited:
vt(4) is used by default in 10.2-RELEASE. Both the sc(4) and vt(4) console drivers are compiled into the default kernel. To switch to using the sc(4) console driver, add kern.vty=sc to your /boot/loader.conf file. If using the boot splash, also make sure you have vesa_load="YES" set in /boot/loader.conf file as well.

Also keep in mind if your using a PC with KMS aware graphics(Intel or AMD) and switch the console driver to sc(4), you will get a black/blank screen when switching from X to the console and/or other graphics related problems. vt(4) doesn't support boot graphics yet, however I do remember reading a while back it's being worked on. :)

Many thanks protocelt! If I only had this crucial information earlier I wouldn't have wasted a whole evening trying to get this working :oops:
The handbook should be updated in terms of this. Maybe I suggest this update by myself :)
Since I'm using Intel HD 4000 graphics I won't go back to an outdated console driver just for the sake of a boot splash screen.

Thanks, this link is very informative and helps a lot.
In the table at the beginning of the provided link it says "splash support for vt(r)" is "limited", but further down the page it says in "Known issues" that there is no "splash support".
So is there "limited" support for splash in vt(4) and if yes, how can I use it or is it not yet implemented?

Splash support is being worked on by a couple of developers yes, but IIRC, it's not usable as of yet. The partial implementation also only exists in 11-CURRENT which I certainly wouldn't recommend for a new user.

Hi,
New kid on the block here.. Just trying BSD for the first time again after 20 year. Back then had it running on my Amiga 3000 🤓

I try to have a splash screen or black screen, instead of all kernel info at boot, but without success.
I just get into a panic mode at boot after following the guidelines in the FreeBSD manual: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/boot-splash.html

Trying to re-solve this as I got the same problem in 12.0-RELEASE also.

Cannot get it to work with "vesa_load="YES" as it will panic at boot.
And it seems that the boot parameters have changed in later versions. Since "unset vesa" command don't work anymore, as explained other places in this forum.

To successfully boot system again without the VESA module follow instructions below.

Steps to unload the vesa from boot menu in FreeBSD 12.0:
Hit key 6 for boot prompt
OK set module_blacklist=vesa
OK boot

You should now be able to boot system as before.
After login:
vi /boot/loader.conf -> i -> #vesa_load="YES" -> :wq! (Or use your favorite editor and comment out "vesa_load="YES" with #:)

Hope this helps....

And I hope there will be a fix for this soon as it would be nice to have a splash screen without all the boot info.

VESA is part of the GENERIC kernel. And it's only useful for sc(4). Modern FreeBSD versions have all switched to vt(4).

Back