Solved kernel locks up while booting installer

Hello All,

Long time linux user, now trying to learn about FreeBSD, since I'm working on the btop project (top like application). I contributed the macOS and FreeBSD specific code (I was able to install on an older laptop but it's very slow - that's why I want to have it on my fast desktop).

So I'm trying to install FreeBSD on a free partition in my desktop system with following hardware:
  • ASUS prime B560-PLUS
  • i5 11600
  • radeon rx 460
  • Samsung 980 pro NVMe drive (Linux)
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SATA SSD (Linux)
  • Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SATA SSD
  • 32 GB corsair DDR4-3200 RAM
System already has linux installed on the NVMe drive, and another distro on the 500 GB SSD (which I want to replace with FreeBSD). I created an USB stick with the 13.0 dvd ISO. Bootloader shows the boot screen, but whatever option I choose (safe mode, verbose), the kernel locks up hard the moment it tries to start. Last messages are about EFI Framebuffer. The iGPU is disabled in BIOS, output is via the rx460.

Any hints? Is this hardware supported?

Also, asus mbs seem fraught with efi problems (got to love standards). I remember a PR a while back (2020) dealing with this, but whether it was resolved I don't know. I will hunt for it if you wish?
(I had a spare pc running an ASUS MB at the time that refused to boot uefi for install so i had to legacy boot it - under FreeBSD 11.n If I recall)

Also, asus mbs seem fraught with efi problems (got to love standards). I remember a PR a while back (2020) dealing with this, but whether it was resolved I don't know. I will hunt for it if you wish?
(I had a spare pc running an ASUS MB at the time that refused to boot uefi for install so i had to legacy boot it - under FreeBSD 11.n If I recall)
Well, it's booting (seems to load and start the kernel), but then seems to just hang up. In this BIOS it's not simple to switch to legacy boot :-/.

I can try that, but I'd think the kernel would be exactly the same so won't make a difference?
The kernel is the same yes. But how the system boots from a DVD (ISO) image might be problematic. The memory stick image uses a standard disk filesystem, just like external harddisks. The way the BIOS/UEFI presents that ISO image might cause it to freak out.

In this BIOS it's not simple to switch to legacy boot
It's often called "CSM" (Compatibility Support Module) or "Legacy" boot. But I've heard that some vendors don't give you that option at all, although that's more common with laptops. As this is just a run-of-the-mill x86 mainboard there really should be an option for it.

The kernel is the same yes. But how the system boots from a DVD (ISO) image might be problematic. The memory stick image uses a standard disk filesystem, just like external harddisks. The way the BIOS/UEFI presents that ISO image might cause it to freak out.

It's often called "CSM" (Compatibility Support Module) or "Legacy" boot. But I've heard that some vendors don't give you that option at all, although that's more common with laptops. As this is just a run-of-the-mill x86 mainboard there really should be an option for it.
ah ok, I'll try this.

As expected, memimage has same problem. Here is a screenshot.

Attachments

• IMG_20211026_193242.png
    IMG_20211026_193242.png
    895.7 KB · Views: 123
This patches only the efi loader, not the kernel, but from the screenshot, it doesn't look like the kernel got started, so … shouldn't be too problematic to "backport" it to 13.0-RELEASE I guess :)

Tried with legacy boot, and it gets for sure further and boots the kernel, but still locks up a bit later.

Attachments

• IMG_20211026_194025.jpg
    IMG_20211026_194025.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 132
Well, it's booting (seems to load and start the kernel), but then seems to just hang up. In this BIOS it's not simple to switch to legacy boot :-/.
But from your image it isn't. It's only getting to the efi loader and barfing.

covacat Yes, that's the PR I saw and referenced above but couldn't remember. Thanks.

Reading that bug report it seems that the version I'm trying to boot has that problem. Will try with a more recent one. Did not realise stable/release are different things :) (new to FreeBSD as I said).

With legacy boot, it does not get stuck after framebuffer, but then gets stuck later (see screenshot). I tried with latest 13-STABLE (where that bug is fixed) and exact same with legacy boot. When trying UEFI boot with that version, screen corruption ensues, but it seems kernel boots, but gets stuck also later.

So there's another issue also on my system.

Looking at the event timer showing RTC, look in the BIOS/UEFI to enable HPET (High Precision Event Timer). That might be why it's stalling.

Looking at the event timer showing RTC, look in the BIOS/UEFI to enable HPET (High Precision Event Timer). That might be why it's stalling.
Did not find anything with HPET or even timer in BIOS (used search function and also went through all things manually)...

update: after installation, graphical corruption, and system does not boot. Checked in BIOS and found that my settings were reset to defaults which was legacy boot only. In this mode, installer boots, but installed system does not. When changing back to UEFI boot, also installer does not boot with graphical issues. :-/

update 2: this was an artefact of booting via grub2. When booting from UEFI directly this does not happen :). Would be nice to solve booting from grub2 though, this is simpler for me.

Back