kernel error with cdrom

Hi,
I am trying to install FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE i386 and I keep getting:
Code:
aprobe0:ata1:0:1:0 CAM status: command timeout
aprobe0:ata1:0:1:0 retrying command

It does this on 10.4 i386 as well, I am using a CD-ROM image.
Thanks
nedry

Bad CD drive? I'm guessing the drive hasn't been used in a long time? Can you boot from an USB image?

not a bad cdrom drive, the same drive will boot without any errors netbsd and openbsd and other systems like gparted live cd

Hi,
I am trying to install FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE i386 and I keep getting:
Code:

It does this on 10.4 i386 as well, I am using a CD-ROM image.
Thanks
nedry

At what point does it do that?

It boots the kernel, and after it gets to the usb ports the next kernel message is:
Code:
this is before it loads bsd install.

I've seen the same on an old Sony VAIO laptop. The bootloader loads the kernel from the CDROM, then the kernel fails to figure out the CDROM and can't continue.

It was too old to boot from USB. Linux had problems with it too, so I just threw it away.

It boots the kernel, and after it gets to the usb ports the next kernel message is:
Code:
this is before it loads bsd install.

Did you check in the BIOS? Are there any options that concern the CD drive? Did you update the CD drive's firmware? Could you install a previous version and upgrade? ... I'm just trying to give you alternatives...

What kind of machine is it? What are the specs, what's the brand/model?

I've seen the same on an old Sony VAIO laptop. The bootloader loads the kernel from the CDROM, then the kernel fails to figure out the CDROM and can't continue.

It was too old to boot from USB. Linux had problems with it too, so I just threw it away.

You could've given it to me, or at least recycled it... : <

Its an IBM thinkpad T40 laptop, what is very interesting out of curiosity i booted openbsd and netbsd on it and they had no problems with the cdrom it booted fine.

Back