Kern.maxfiles

I am running Freebsd 8.0. and I am getting these maxfiles kernel errors. Where do I go to fix this and How do I increase this. I am running apache, mysql and moodle on the server.

The kern.maxfiles sysctl determines how many open files the system supports. The default is typically a few thousand but you may need to bump this up to ten or twenty thousand if you are running databases or large descriptor-heavy daemons. The read-only kern.openfiles sysctl may be interrogated to determine the current number of open files on the system.

See tuning(7) and Handbook: Chapter 11.11 Tuning with sysctl.

@FBSDin20Steps and rbizzell33, kern.maxfiles can only be set before the kernel starts. Hence it must be set in /boot/loader.conf.

LOADER TUNABLES
Some aspects of the system behavior may not be tunable at runtime because memory allocations they perform must occur early in the boot process. To change loader tunables, you must set their values in loader.conf(5) and reboot the system.
See tuning(7).

I appreciate all your help. right now the loader.conf is empty now on my server. I just have all of the default values. So I need to input that change in the loader.conf and reboot the system

rbizzell33 said:
I appreciate all your help. right now the loader.conf is empty now on my server. I just have all of the default values. So I need to input that change in the loader.conf and reboot the system

In /boot/loader.conf, yes. Do not edit or change /boot/defaults/loader.conf.

Thanks! The reason why I ask because I edited that file but the change didn't take effect I guess I had the wrong syntax

running the same version. I have two servers running that I was just asking what happened when you originally put those changes in the sysctl file. Did it change anything or it didn't work at all because it has to go in the loader.conf? On my other server that are both new hp ml 150 servers I noticed a lag when I type sometimes like it probably may not be tuned correctly. I am running postfix apache atmail mysql on that server. But on the one you have been helping me with that has apache mysql and moodle

rbizzell33 said:
I was just asking what happened when you originally put those changes in the sysctl file. Did it change anything or it didn't work at all because it has to go in the loader.conf?

Nothing happened. No error messages. No false entries in my logs... 'till SirDice came along and nothing happened after that.

rbizzell33 said:
On my other server that are both new hp ml 150 servers I noticed a lag when I type sometimes like it probably may not be tuned correctly. I am running postfix apache atmail mysql on that server. But on the one you have been helping me with that has apache mysql and moodle
DutchDaemon helped you a lot... I am not much on the forum.

All you guys help me out. I really do appreciate you guys fast responses. One day hopefully I will be as knowledgeable as you guys

Do you run your servers for a business? I work for a k-12 school in the USA. I am just trying to get all this stuff under my belt. seem like it will take forever to learn all this stuff in Unix

Back