kerberos troubles

Hello,

I'm trying to deploy kerberos on Freebsd 13.2. I'm reading over the handbook (ch 16) and the first thing it states is to,

To begin, install the security/heimdal package as follows:

# pkg install heimdal

I later learned that Freebsd comes with a version of heimdal pre-installed on the base-system. It seems to me that the entire handbook on setting up kerberos is incompatible with the base system. For example, in the next step it says to run,

# kstash

This will run /usr/sbin/kstash which is the base-sytsem version and not the one that was installed from the ports tree. I'm not even sure how I'm suppose to start the security/heimdal service. I don't see that heimdal installed anything in /usr/local/etc/rc.d and /etc/rc.d/kcd wants to start the base-system version of the kdc.

The handbook has just been fantastic but I'm just shocked at my experience with kdc. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

I guess I can answer my own questions. I searched the forums and found this post, https://forums.FreeBSD.org/threads/freebsd-sa-22-14-heimdal-breaks-my-site.87121/post-622800

that mentions setting the program paths and how this is most likely required and not mentioned in the handbook,

sysrc kdc_enable="YES"
sysrc kdc_program="/usr/local/libexec/kdc"
sysrc kdc_flags=""

sysrc kadmind_enable="YES"
sysrc kadmind_program="/usr/local/libexec/kadmind"

I don't have all this setup yet; but, I'm curious whether the heimdal base version is compatible with the ports version. I don't want to setup aliases for kinit on the clients!

Is this the work around to get a modern version of heimdal deployed?

Back