Solved Kensington Expert Mouse regression?

Hello,

Rather than necro-posting this thread (https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...wired-kensington-expert-mouse-wireless.76148/), I thought I'd start a new one.

Updated from 12.1 to 12.2 on my desktop over the weekend.

Since doing so, I can't click and drag in Xorg using the Kensington Expert Mouse. I can do this with an ordinary mouse.

This problem persists even if I reduce it to a minimal working example using twm.

If other Kensington users ( e.g. k.jacker ) are experiencing this problem (or not), please let me know.

Thanks!

Until I have more time, and come up with a solution, I'm using the DragLockButtons option in my xorg conf files.

Apache config:
Section "InputDevice"
   # generated from default
   Identifier "Mouse0"
   # Driver "mouse"
   Driver "libinput"
   Option "Protocol" "auto"
   # Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
   Option "Device" "/dev/input/event6"
   Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
   Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
   Option "DragLockButtons" "8"
EndSection

Solved.

Set kern.evdev.rcpt_mask to 3.

$ sysctl kern.evdev.rcpt_mask
kern.evdev.rcpt_mask: 12

$ sudo sysctl kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=3
kern.evdev.rcpt_mask: 3 -> 3

And set kern.evdev.rcpt_mask to 3 in /etc/sysctl.conf so that is permanent on reboots.

echo "kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=3" >> /etc/sysctl.conf

• Thanks
Reactions: sko
I have just installed FreeBSD 14-RELEASE on my desktop and I use a Kensington Expert Trackball Wireless. Without using any modifications of my xorg.conf, I have found I can click and move the cursor fine, but I can't drag anything. It registers a click and hold (drag) as being just a click. I have had to plug in the USB receiver as I haven't gotten Bluetooth going yet.

I tried setting the above kern.evdev.rcpt_mask to 3 and 15 to no avail. I see it's a 4-bit bitmask (0x0 to 0xf or 0 to 15).

Any suggestions?

I can confirm the same behavior & working fix with a Cherry MW9100 on 13.2-RELEASE and 14.0-RELEASE.
This has bugged me since I bought that mouse, but I never found the time to really have a look at it - this old thread surfacing from the grave just saved me the troubleshooting. So thanks for necroposting, I guess ;)

funkz can you confirm that the mouse actually does register the button as continuously pressed (i.e. plug it into another system/OS and see if holding the button works)? I've come across mice for some special graphics applications as well as gaming that can be toggled (usually only via some windows crapware) to only register single clicks.

Back