KDM/KDE Login Problem (Keyboard/Mouse Inactive)

Hello,

I updated ports to KDE 4.10.5 (from July to November) and I can no longer log in on the KDM/KDE login screen. It is not necessarily that I cannot login, but that the keyboard and the mouse are non-functional. I can escape out of that login screen back to a console login using an older Sun USB keyboard. At the console, the normal keyboard, mouse and login are all normal. /var/log/messages shows that the keyboard and mouse are recognized appropriately, so it is not the OS, just something with the KDM login screen.

I see the following error message in /var/log/messages
Code:
Dec  4 12:56:00 freeenv dbus[1503]: [system] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit' (using servicehelper)
Dec  4 12:56:01 freeenv dbus[1503]: [system] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1' (using servicehelper)
Dec  4 12:56:01 freeenv dbus[1503]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1'
Dec  4 12:56:01 freeenv dbus[1503]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit'
Dec  4 12:56:01 freeenv console-kit-daemon[1524]: WARNING: kvm_getenvv failed: 
Dec  4 12:56:01 freeenv kernel: .
Dec  4 12:56:03 freeenv ftp-proxy[1655]: listening on 127.0.0.1 port 8021
Dec  4 12:56:05 freeenv console-kit-daemon[1524]: WARNING: Error waiting for native console 1 activation: Device not configured

Any clues as to what may be the problem? I have rebuilt KDE twice now. It seems the next step is to rebuild everything? In case it matters, this is my /etc/make.conf:
Code:
# /etc/make.conf
WITH_CUPS=YES
CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=YES
WITHOUT_LPR=YES
WITH_OPENSSL_BASE=YES
# removed python version 2011/03/25 for 2.7 update
# PYTHON_VERSION=2.6
# PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION=2.6
OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=f10
OVERRIDE_LINUX_NONBASE_PORTS=f10
# .include "/usr/local/etc/ports_sites.conf"
# WRKDIRPREFIX= /usr/ports
# DISTDIR= /var/ports/distfiles
# PACKAGES= /var/ports/packages
JAVA_VERSION=1.6
JAVA_VENDOR=openjdk
# PERL_VERSION=5.14
QT4_OPTIONS=CUPS 
# RUBY_VERSION=1.9.3
# RUBY_DEFAULT_VER=1.9
TEX_DEFAULT=texlive
WITH_SSP_PORTS=yes
DEFAULT_VERSIONS=python=2.7 python2=2.7 python3=3.3 perl5=5.16 ruby=1.9
WITH_NEW_XORG=yes

Thanks for any suggestions.

aric

I ran startx from the console and then had the same issue. So it does seem that it may be an X.Org problem. I now see the following and will rebuild all ports and see what happens:
Code:
(EE) module ABI major version (7) doesn't match the server's version (16)

I would love to know the solution to this also. My issue began after trying to get the Synaptics driver working (unsuccessfully) on my laptop. That resulted in having no mouse at all, even after reverting back to the prior configuration and recreating xorg.conf. Then, after a reboot the keyboard stopped working in KDM.

Deinstalling/reinstalling X.Org and KDE did not fix it. I resorted to reinstalling the entire OS out of frustration; of every solution I could find in all my searches, none was successful in fixing the issue.

I had almost the same issue but in my case only the keyboard will not work. After many trials and errors I decided to reinstall Freebsd FreeBSD 10 and I still have the same issue: the keyboard is not working so I reinstalled FreeBSD 10 again. This time I selected the right keyboard mapping and it works. I never had this issue before but that seems to fix the issue for me.

Good luck...

Hi,

I have keyboard problems too after a binary upgrade (first time since FreeBSD-2.8) :)

Solution:

Look into the /var/log/Xorg.0.log - near the end:

Code:
[    27.085] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/input/kbd_drv.so
[    27.085] (II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    27.085]    compiled for 1.7.7, module version = 1.8.0
[    27.085]    Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
[    27.085]    ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 7.0
[    27.085] (EE) module ABI major version (7) doesn't match the server's version (16)
[    27.085] (II) UnloadModule: "kbd"
[    27.085] (II) Unloading kbd
So I
Code:
 rm /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/input/kbd_drv.so
 cd /usr/ports/x11-drivers/xorg-drivers
 make install clean FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=ok
Voilá, working again:

Code:
[   607.971] (II) config/hal: Adding input device AT Keyboard
[   607.971] (II) Using input driver 'kbd' for 'AT Keyboard'
[   607.971] (**) AT Keyboard: always reports core events
[   607.971] (**) AT Keyboard: always reports core events
[   607.971] (**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
[   607.971] (WW) Option "Device" requires an string value
[   607.971] (**) Option "XkbRules" "base"
[   607.971] (**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
[   607.971] (**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
[   607.971] (**) Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
I guess it is the same with the mouse. Then rm the mouse driver too and build the thing above.

Best greetings

Sören Todt

Happened to me, and all I did was edit the
Code:
/etc/rc.conf
file and add in
Code:
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"

Back