Solved kdm displays welcome to home and I cant log in.

When I do my username and password the screen goes blank and goes back to welcome to home. In the bottom right corner there is a white box that says console log for home. Whenever I boot it puts me into this and I can get out. It wont let me switch to other virtual consoles. xserver was failing to start so I deleted xorg.conf and now this is happening.

Attachments

• 20180731_200424.jpg
    20180731_200424.jpg
    816.2 KB · Views: 289
Boot single user mode. That will start you off at a console.
# mount -a
It's booting into XDM if I'm not mistaken (been over 10 years since I've seen that).
I believe # xorgcfg should re-write your xorg.conf. Be sure kdm_enable=YES is in your /etc/rc.conf.

Not a pro, but if I can save one the time to responding to this then I'm one step closer to giving back to the community.

Boot single user mode. That will start you off at a console.
# mount -a
It's booting into XDM if I'm not mistaken (been over 10 years since I've seen that).
I believe # xorgcfg should re-write your xorg.conf. Be sure kdm_enable=YES is in your /etc/rc.conf.

Not a pro, but if I can save one the time to responding to this then I'm one step closer to giving back to the community.

thanks.

That's indeed XDM. Are you working with KDE 4 or 5? If I recall correctly KDM was replaced with SDDM for KDE5.

Back