Solved KDM blank/black greeter. login screen. Intel hd3000

I am reluctantly posting this here. Reluctant has to do with the fact that I know this is Xorg related issue and has nothing to do with KDE or KDM, but, rather this problem just seems to manifest itself at this at this layer. I have been trying to restore 3D acceleration and openGL rendering on my machine ever since WITH_NEW_XORG stack was incorporated into Xorg compilation. See this post. This problem (no login screen) "greeter" as KDE puts it, appears after FreeBSD loads and Xorg loads. My problems started after I re-compiled Xorg drivers to use dbus support. I removed the
Code:
with_hald=true
in rc.conf and rebooted. I was greeted with nothing but a KSOD. K=black in opaque series printing inks.

Just for grins I typed my password and the boot started back up and finished. It has taken me three weeks to get my login greeter back. I started by back tracking my previous steps and re-enabling hald but that did nothing. After digging deep (logging KDM messages) I got nowhere.

Final solution: in my xorg.conf I have the configuration parameters for the Intel driver under Section "Device". Within these parameters you will find a setting labeled
Code:
Option     "ReprobeOutputs"       "true"
Just uncomment this section of your driver configuration and set it true. Re-boot and your login greeter will re-appear.

I would surely like some people to chime in here and put forward some plausible theories to explain this behavior. I have several!

[ Please stop using the highlight tag where not appropriate -- Mod ]

Last edited by a moderator:
I removed the
Code:
with_hald=true
in rc.conf and rebooted. I was greeted with nothing but a KSOD. K=black in opaque series printing inks.
You meant
Code:
enable_hald="YES"
in /etc/rc.conf?

Excuse the semi correct logic. Yes lme@ you're 100% correct on both counts. In addition I would like to add that the KDM greeter was working before attempting to detect hardware exclusively using dbus support only. Then the greeter disappeared from view but as far as I could tell the process was running i.e. KDM and it allowed a blind login. Thanks for the help!

[ Don't use highlight tags where they're not needed -- Mod. ]

Actually, that would be
Code:
hald_enable="YES"

It will be nice when KDE no longer requires that.

Back