kde5 plasmashell hangs on mouseover Leave

I've searched pretty extensively and I really don't understand what is up with this: the first time the mouse cursor touches the "Leave" icon in the K menu, everything plasma freezes for about a minute. I can still type in an xterm, browse with firefox, or drag windows around; only the stupid panel is frozen. If I touch Leave again with the mouse, nothing unusual happens.
Aside from this irritating stumble, KDE5 actually feels more responsive than KDE4.

I am not using a display manager, but starting with .xinitrc:
Code:
startkde --with-ck-launch

Tried it without the --with-ck-launch and it didn't make any difference. I just installed KDE 5.12.5.18.04.2 from ports ( portmaster kde5) and it is possible I missed some pieces here and there.

dbus is enabled.

I disabled baloo crap in the Settings GUI, but I found the baloo file indexing processes eating up cpu anyway so I killed baloo_file and baloo_file_extractor the old fashioned way: renamed them and replaced them with a link to /usr/bin/true. locate(1) is good enough for me.

I'm not running hald; not sure if it is needed. I guess it is for automounting USB drives? I have autofs set up because I want to be able to easily mount removable without having to rely on unreliable DE stuff.

If I run top in an xterm while the KDE panel is frozen, there is no indication any process is going nuts and hogging cpu.

Back