Solved KDE5 Plasma black screen after logon

Ok so it seems I successfully installed FreeBSD 12.2 on my old sonicmaster asus laptop. wifi worked right during install process which is kinda great.

then I followed instructions here:
Step-by-step – FreeBSD 12 KDE Plasma 5 Installation Guide

Upon the reboot I can actually see a nice login window with my main username already there. And now there are 2 problems:

1) Mouse is not working (laptop's touchpad is working though)
2) Once I enter password for my main user and hit Enter i just see black screen with cursor in a shape of an X, the cursor is active, i.e. I can move it around with laptop's mousepad (not mouse), but nothing else happening.

Where should I start looking?

Last edited:
alright, a little update, on the logon screen if i just select plasma (and not Wayland plasma) then it loads fine.
btw, not sure what the difference is, but look was same.

regarding the mouse problem, I'll create another topic since I do not believe it is KDE related.

Issue solved? Only the OP can set the thread to "solved". On the very 1st post, click "..." -> "edit thread" -> "prefix: solved".

alright, a little update, on the logon screen if i just select plasma (and not Wayland plasma) then it loads fine.
btw, not sure what the difference is, but look was same.

regarding the mouse problem, I'll create another topic since I do not believe it is KDE related.
The difference is "plasma desktop" is X11 and "plasma wayland" is Wayland.

… not sure what the difference is, …

<https://community.kde.org/FreeBSD/Setup#Quick_start> ▶ KDE and the rest

… for Plasma, Wayland is not yet reliable.

More recently:

Back