Solved KDE5 gone from repository after upgrade.

Greetings to everyone.

Here is my problem : Yesterday I just made a pkg-upgrade(8) to check for updates and install them on my main workstation (FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p1 GENERIC amd64). And after that command I have done a pkg autoremove to remove unused package and free disk space as I usually do, but I made here a really dumb mistake, since I have not checked in detail the packages to be removed. In fact I removed the all KDE-5 suite.

At first, the problem seemed relatively easy to fix, I just needed to do pkg install kde5 like I did to install it for the first time. But here is the main problem : It seems that the kde5 meta-package is gone from the repository, maybe it has a different name now.

But I tried on different FreeBSD machines, and when I do a pkg search kde5 it finds nothing, even after pkg update -f.

Is anyone there that got the same problem and knows how to fix this ?

Thank you very much for your future help.

Tried a new install of 12.1 last night and tried to install KDE5 and pkg listed no such file. A search showed the same as the issue above. Is it possible it was being updated or some other issue?

Here is my problem : Yesterday I just made a pkg-upgrade(8) to check for updates and install them on my main workstation (FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p1 GENERIC amd64). And after that command I have done a pkg autoremove to remove unused package and free disk space as I usually do, but I made here a really dumb mistake, since I have not checked in detail the packages to be removed. In fact I removed the all KDE-5 suite.

I'm running KDE5 as well and almost made the same mistake re: pkg autoremove. I have no solution for the missing kde5 package, but you might want to configure auto ZFS snapshots. That way you'll always have the means to go back to a known working state. This blog provides good instructions: https://www.ccammack.com/schedule-zfs-snapshots-using-zfs-auto-snapshot/

BTW it would be really nice if pkg would make a snapshot automatically before it does its thing (with the option to turn it off for users of auto snapshots)

It looks like www/qt5-webengine fails to build, which causes everything that depends on it (like x11/kde5) to be skipped.

It's no use switching to latest as it has the same (plus a few more) problems.

So how does this generally work with regards to packaging? Does this warrant an update to the quarterly repo once the qt5-webengine-5.13.2 issue gets resolved? Or will this only be fixed on latest and only appear in quarterly next quarter?

Does this warrant an update to the quarterly repo once the qt5-webengine-5.13.2 issue gets resolved? Or will this only be fixed on latest and only appear in quarterly next quarter?
It's a break-fix. So I expect it to land in quarterly too.

Back