KDE4 latest unstable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that does it!
This KDE4 is so buggy and unstable that it is barely usable! :p

It is flawless in freezing whole system and bringing my server to it's knees and to complete shutdown, then reboot process begins! :f

Dolphin is good at it!
Also sometimes I can't open text files using Kate or Kwrite

It's apps., are all buggy and if I am lucky, crash only itself without bringing complete server down.

Last crash: I've watched south park, with SMPlayer and after 10 minutes of just watching(not touching PC) - freeze and crash - reboot.

And my home dir is full of .core files:
Code:
drkonqi.core
gdb.core
kdeinit4.core

And sometimes I get offer to create a bug report which then gets classified as unusable and offers me to install trace software(which would possibly make KDE4 even more crashier).

This is a total nightmare! :p

Seriously, if your entire system is crashing while using KDE, there is a bug in your video card drivers or X server, and that's where you should start looking. An X application should *never* crash your entire machine.

Are you using KDE's built in desktop effects? What video card and drivers are you using?

Adam

Well..., today things seems pretty stable as KDE crashed server ONLY once!
Weeeho! ;)

Crash NEVER occurs when I use X (Xterm)
So serious stuff, like root, I do using Xorg.

KDE4 is used only by regular users.

Card is radeon 9600XT

Well, in the words of a red-haired mythbuster, "Well thare's yar prablaem."

Which driver are you using for that ati card?
Are you using desktop effects?

Oh, and you never run X as root, ever.

And KDE, of course, uses xorg.

Did you install from ports or from packages?

If from ports, did you mess around with CPUTYPE or CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf?

If you did, comment out those two options, and rebuild all your ports (and kernel and world if needed). Especially if you changed CFLAGS. You really, really, really should not do that!! :)

If you are using Desktop Effects in KDE, try disabling them. I had lots of problems with DE and KDE 4.1 and 4.2 (works great in 4.3) on Linux using nVidia 9400, and with KDE 4.1 through 4.3 on FreeBSD using onboard Intel. The Radeon 9600 is pretty old, and may not have enough oomph for all the DE stuff (I've never even bothered testing them with my Radeon 7000 system. Things run smooth with DE disabled.)

Which version of X.org are you running?

Are you running a custom kernel, or GENERIC? If custom, have you tried using GENERIC for a while to see how things work? If you mucked around with CFLAGS, be sure to recompile your kernel and world as well with CFLAGS commented out.

if X is locking up, you may want to edit your xorg.conf and add the following
Code:
Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
to InputDevice section so you can kill the xserver without rebooting.

There is no problem with X
Code:
%X -version

X.Org X Server 1.6.1
Release Date: 2009-4-14
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
, just KDE.

KDE4 is from ports. Kernel is GENERIC.
All configs were left at theirs default values.
While installing other ports recursively, I did saw that some ports did have checked optimized CFLAGS by default.

Finally, regarding CFLAGS...
Are you saying, that I should always avoid using them in ports(or anywhere else) even if checked by deafult?

Seeker said:
There is no problem with X
Code:
%X -version

X.Org X Server 1.6.1
Release Date: 2009-4-14
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
, just KDE.

If your whole system is crashing to the point that it reboots, then there is a significant bug in Xorg or your kernel (or, quite possibly, your 3D driver, which has a kernel module). KDE4 might be doing something to cause the crash, but the kernel should never let the system go down like that.

Adam

Seeker said:
Finally, regarding CFLAGS...
Are you saying, that I should always avoid using them in ports(or anywhere else) even if checked by deafult?

CFLAGS being set by the port is fine, as the port maintainer has checked that the software runs correctly with those settings, and it only affects that one port.

Editing CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf is rarely a good idea, and can lead to all kinds of hard-to-diagnose errors, with the world, the kernel, and ports.

Gentoo's "optimise everything, -O100 is the best" mentality leads to issues in FreeBSD. :)

mickey said:
... or faulty hardware ...

Ideally faulty hardware wouldn't crash the operating system, but I have yet to see an operating system handle that properly :) So I agree, that's another possibility.

Adam

Anyway, there is no crashes for a 3 days now. ;)

I did NOT edited CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf nor do I use custom kernel.

I guess tracing and debuging .core files and that one of a kerenel itself would give a result, which I don't feel like doing as it is not critical issue.
+ On WinXP there were issues with graphic card as drivers would every here and there reset card, so there MIGHT be a faulty AGP hardware.

Seeker said:
+ On WinXP there were issues with graphic card as drivers would every here and there reset card, so there MIGHT be a faulty AGP hardware.

AGP is also famous for causing real headaches with some mainboard's chipsets, when the driver would enable things like 'AGP FastWrite'.

OMG!! Help ASAP!

I've just been editing PHP code in Kate.
Sys got frozzen.
None of shortcuts did a trick ctrl+alt+(del,esc,backspace)
After 15 minutes passed, I could only reset whole PC.

To my shock, after reboot and launching kde and opening Kate and then that file with PHP code...
It was totally empty
All 1000 un-backed up lines of code went to hell!!
And I save frequently, while coding
I can't believe this!!!
Now, this kind of stuff haven't hit me even on XP.

I stll HOPE, it is SOMWHERE, or I'll never use KDE again.
Has it been transfered somwhere, as sos procedure, before/during/after crash.

I mean.. seriously - COMPLETELY EMPTY FILE!!! :\

I don't know or use Kate, but if it supports auto-saving, it will probably not save to the document itself, but to a backup file, which may or may not be in the directory of your original document, and may or may not be named similarly to your original document.

If you remember the exact time of the crash, do the following:

Suppose date and time of crash are as follows: 10 November 2009, 08:30:00. To be safe, subtract an hour from that, so 07:30:00.

Code:
cd /tmp
touch timestamp
(convert time of crash -/- 1 hour to be used by touch:)
touch -t 200911100730.00 /tmp/timestamp
(find files later than that date/time)
find / -Bnewer /tmp/timestamp > /tmp/files.txt

Now investigate /tmp/files.txt and see if you find anything resembling the document you lost.

DutchDaemon said:
I don't know or use Kate, but if it supports auto-saving, it will probably not save to the document itself, but to a backup file,
True!
As soon as you hit save, it immediately saves file AND creates backup file in a same directory with added "~" at the end of file like:
Code:
File: coding.php
Backup: coding.php~

DutchDaemon said:
If you remember the exact time of the crash, do the following:

Suppose date and time of crash are as follows: 10 November 2009, 08:30:00. To be safe, subtract an hour from that, so 07:30:00.

Code:
cd /tmp
touch timestamp
(convert time of crash -/- 1 hour to be used by touch:)
touch -t 200911100730.00 /tmp/timestamp
(find files later than that date/time)
find / -Bnewer /tmp/timestamp > /tmp/files.txt

Now investigate /tmp/files.txt and see if you find anything resembling the document you lost.
Thanx!
Done!
Nothing found!

I can't believe this!!!

Completely [erased backup file and original NULLED (empty)!
And keep in mind that kate is advanced text editor!

I feel like being hacked!

This is total disaster!
I am NOT using some beta or RC, so this was NOT supposed to be happening! :\

Is this really it??

Does this mean I can go, an start hitting my head at the wall???

You did use the correct date/time, I presume? I suddenly noticed that my example date/time was in the future ;)

If so, I can only assume that fsck unlinked these files that were probably in use at the time of the crash. One final path to take may be looking in any lost+found directories.

Code:
find / -type d -name "lost+found"

The files in those directories won't have recognisable names, so use more/less and quotes on these files and see what turns up, e.g.
Code:
more "#07019222"

DutchDaemon said:
You did use the correct date/time, I presume? I suddenly noticed that my example date/time was in the future ;)
Yes, your example was 1 day in a future.
That would yield 0 results ;)
DutchDaemon said:
If so, I can only assume that fsck unlinked these files that were probably in use at the time of the crash. One final path to take may be looking in any lost+found directories.

Code:
find / -type d -name "lost+found"

The files in those directories won't have recognisable names, so use more/less and quotes on these files and see what turns up, e.g.
Code:
more "#07019222"
That yielded no result.
I did executed that command as a root.

Nada!

Is there anything else I can do?
You've mentioned fsck unlinked those files...
Maybe to use fsck somehow?

Or is this it? :r

An during 2 last post I had 2 sys crashes!
Now that does it!

I've found this 2 files:
Code:
/var/crash/info.12
/var/crash/vmcore.12
How to make them useful?
If procedure too complex then give me a link to procedure

Search the forums for 'vmcore', and choose 'Show results as posts'. A few ways to extract information from vmcores will show up.

As to your lost file: other than low-level forensics, I don't think there is another tool I can think of right now, and seeing you're working on that system, the possible remnants of it have probably been overwritten by now.

DutchDaemon said:
... As to your lost file: other than low-level forensics, I don't think there is another tool I can think of right now, and seeing you're working on that system, the possible remnants of it have probably been overwritten by now.

This is very, VERY BAD!
And I am very, VERY ANGRY!

I understand loss of precious file that was open in Kate, but NOT and it's BACKUP!!
Kate is one that is linking to both of them!

Am I right, if I target my anger on KDE's Kate?
So I'll get rid of them forever and take something super tested an safe.

That is what UNIX is about - SAFE! (and much more)
And KDE's Kate doesn't represent that!

WinXP NEVER did this to me!

Man, I am so pissed off right now! :p

pardon me, I haven't seen this being mentioned:
Have you looked at /var/tmp ?
I don't use KDE and friends either, so I don't know, but perhaps your file is there :)
It's worth checking

killasmurf86 said:
pardon me, I haven't seen this being mentioned:
Have you looked at /var/tmp ?
I don't use KDE and friends either, so I don't know, but perhaps your file is there :)
It's worth checking

It has already been covered by find command.

true said:
No, Kate and KDE have absolutely nothing to do with this.
I disagree.
Your description would apply, if it would be only about edited file, that was not saved.

Only modification was supposed to be lost!
Whole file was ZEROED - EMPTY! :\

true said:
The reason why you lost your files is that the actual data was still not written to disk at the time the system crashed.
And here is a nail in Kate's coffin.
There WAS a backup in same dir with added("~"), at it's end, that was NOT opened in editor!
And it was completely LOST!

Only Kate had a contact/interaction with backup file!!
Where is it!
Retarded Kate!

This has never occurred on winXP! :r

I still can't believe this has happened!
I am totally not coding anything anymore, until I get my laptop back!
I simply don't have trust in file system anymore.
true said:
Are you claiming, that if I would shift from default ufs to that of soft updates, this will not happen anymore??
Code:
The tunefs(8) program can be used to fine-tune a file system.
This program has many different options, but for now we are only concerned with toggling Soft Updates on and off, which is done by:
# tunefs -n enable /filesystem
# tunefs -n disable /filesystem

DutchDaemon said:
As to your lost file: other than low-level forensics, I don't think there is another tool I can think of right now, and seeing you're working on that system, the possible remnants of it have probably been overwritten by now.

I see, then let me reformulate question.
What kind of command would you use to retrieve thise files, just after reboot, in same situation/context?

Anyway, this thread is about crashing so here it is:
www.starforce.biz 5 core
www.starforce.biz 6 core
www.starforce.biz 7 core
www.starforce.biz 8 core
www.starforce.biz 9 core
www.starforce.biz 10 core
www.starforce.biz 11 core
www.starforce.biz 12 core

Yes, I Tested RAM --> memtest86+
It passed! 100%

mickey said:
And still to me this appears to be likewise hardware failure.
And how would I isolate target hardware?
Hint: Crashes only started occur while in KDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back