KDE4 freezing on 10.1-RELEASE

Last thread I create today I promise. :)

I have KDE4 installed on FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE and I really like it too. However its laggy and freezes. When I launch something there is significant delay by the time I click, to the time the hard drive light starts flashing, to when its finally loaded up on the screen. I got a dual core 64-bit cpu and 2 gig of ram in a Compaq Q machine that was running Windows Vista. Lots of memory avail, and CPU utilization can be near idle when this occurs. I can do a fresh boot and something simple and get the lag. If I play music, the music is always interrupted when I launch a new program, switch workspaces, etc.

And after a few hours of useage the desktop freezes and I have no choice but to do a reboot. If I open up a console via ctl-alt-f2 top won't even run. Have to press the power button and let it shutdown the OS. (Ironically :eek: :D the same problem I am having with my Windows 8.1 machine that I am looking forward to blowing OS away and replacing with FreeBSD and some sort of desktop. )

If I knew this was a resource issue I won't hesitate to buy more, but I have another compaq machine with same resources but no lagging. It too does freeze, but not near as often.

Where should I begin to look?

Thanks again,
P.M.

Last thread I create today I promise. :)

If I play music, the music is always interrupted when I launch a new program, switch workspaces, etc.

The music issue looks to be caused by spikes of high cpu. But KDE is suffering a bad lag/freeze problem. Occurred again, cpu was idle, no swap used, and there was easy a few minutes of time between click and result.

Try a different light-weight desktop, so that you can observe whether the problem persists. That way you'll be able to separate the problem source (KDE or X.org).
If it turns out to ba an X.org problem, you'll then have to look into both X.org and the GPU driver.

Look at which process is taking CPU or disk I/O

I'd suggest you have desktop search and all that stuff disabled

you can also switch your .xsession to do

kwin &
plasma-desktop &

Instead of the full startkde

Thanks I have to get back into this soon. But if I remember right, the box was idle for all practical purposes. I realize its not the highest on resources, and that explained my issue with music, but even without that running the freezing still occurs, and cpu and disk are idle. I keep you posted, and I'll try a few ports and tree updates, now that I understand all of that much better.

Back