KDE4 Dolphin version control plugins (git, mercurial et al)

Hi chap[ette]s

I've been looking forward to KDE-4.8 which is supposed to introduce a dolphin plugin for mercurial (hg), alongside existing git and subversion plugins. Unfortunately I can't get it to appear in the Dolphin UI.

I've inspected the kdesdk-4.8.4.tar where I can see likely looking source code in .../dolphin-plugins/hg/. In the "Configure Dolphin -> Services" dialogue I can see the tickboxes for subversion, hg, git and bazaar. Yet the only plugin to manifest itself in the Dolphin context menu is Subversion, even when clicking over an existing hg repo.

Mercurial 2.2.2 command-line client is installed and working.

Mercurial is the one I really need, but it's interesting the git plugin is AWOL too. I just wondered if anyone else has had any luck with this. I know it's a long shot... I wonder how many other desktop FreeBSD && KDE4 && mercurial users there are out there!

sim

I use mercurial and subversion heavily on daily basis and I find all of the graphical interfaces rubbish (including dolphin plugins). They actually make most operations slower than if you were doing it from command line, especially when handling huge merges or commits.

I'm a KDE 4 user and fan, but I mainly use git. By the way, I agree that a command line is much faster and sometimes better than a GUI. I simply find GUI tools not mature enough to handle branches and merges.

I do take your point about command line. It's only that at my last place of work (a Windows shop :p) we used TortoiseHg which I have to say was pretty nice. The branch tree visualisation was worth its weight in gold (not that it actually had mass...). I was just hoping there might be a similar thing for my KDE environment.

sim

fluca1978 said:
I never tried it, but there is also a port devel/tortoisehg2.

That's really interesting, I hadn't seen that. Only problem is (for me at least) - it sounds like it's meant for GNOME / Nautilus. Will take a look anyway.

sim

Just built devel/tortoisehg2 from ports - looks very promising! It's not (apparently) just a plugin for Nautilus which is what I initially assumed, but appears to run standalone. I haven't yet connected it to any of my repos so I can't say any more about it at the moment but will continue the investigations...

Thanks fluca1978!

sim

Wow, It Just Works! :)

Case closed. I'd still be interested to see the Dolphin plugin but having TortoiseHg is great news. Thanks everyone.

sim

Back