KDE4.2. What Akonadi is for?

I have beautiful installation of KDE4.2, everything works, everything looks perfect...no nothing is perfect under Moon. Every reboot right after login Akonadi starts. Then few pop ups appear and disappear like in illegal copy of Windows. One stays with button "close" and reports that migration of Default Address Book is successful. Every reboot. Now I have to close one more pop up: it reports that migration of Birthdays, Calendar, something else was successful... I realize that it's just minor annoying issue but anyway what this Akonadi is for? I haven't seen it in 4.1.4.
Is it possible to uninstall it or just shut it down forever?

Thanks, but it doesn't work for me. kwriteconfig is missing and cannot be found anywhere, manual editing of kres-migrattorrc doesn't work, impossible to disable resources (it doesn't allow).
By the way this useless monster (+MySQL it starts) eats 250MB of memory. Well...I'm going to KDE forum x(
Long live Gnome ;)

Bit off-topic

zeiz said:
By the way this useless monster (+MySQL it starts) eats 250MB of memory.

I'm actually liking the fact that more desktop applications are capable of using a database server, rather then scattered sqlite/db4x/yaml/xml/foo storage schemes in different places.

I can see the "useless" perspective from a "single desktop user" viewpoint, but more and more people have home networks and then it's nice to have a central database where all your application data is stored. Especially since it's much easier this way to make it available on the web, without requiring VNC/Rdesktop access or something similar.

Indeed. By at my level of understanding I feel some fear that everything could be so great organized for...an intruder as well. I noticed a "fashion" to collect any information from e-mail text, process it and so far just offer you somebody's ad by a keyword found in your text. In the future an intruder could be not just a "cyberkid" but very serious political and government structures. Sorry for the paranoia but it looks very real to me.

Then again - it's not like they'd hesitate to grab your mail off gmail (or indeed your local PC) even without that convenience. And it's not like they aren't capable of adding filters of their own to pick up mail that looks interesting.

When it comes to these local databases, anyone with access will also be able to grab your mails directly as well, so ...

I didn't see any popup window showing something like "Alonadi not registered at D-bus" when I didn't logg in as a root user,although I don't know why. Maybe this is an alternative choice for you.

The only left problems for me now is that I failed to see chinese in Konqueror and part of Dolphin window but work fine in all other applications. Although I changed to firefox, I think this should not be a good solution.

zeiz said:
Indeed. By at my level of understanding I feel some fear that everything could be so great organized for...an intruder as well. I noticed a "fashion" to collect any information from e-mail text, process it and so far just offer you somebody's ad by a keyword found in your text. In the future an intruder could be not just a "cyberkid" but very serious political and government structures. Sorry for the paranoia but it looks very real to me.

On the contrary. If the desktop is compromized, I can deny access to the data storage, either by invalidating the database user account or by firewall or by shutting down the database all together, then work on getting my desktop back.

Back