kde3 install "problem"

A

Anonymous

Hi!

I try to install KDE3 with portmaster;portmaster -d /usr/ports/x11/kde3

When menus starting to opening I did some settings wrong and I cancel installation but when I started again there are no more menus. Also there are no question which components I want to install (I don't want KOffice...). I "make clean" in /.../kde3 but nothing help.

Thanks.

Take a loot at the Handbook section on desktop environment which covers KDE, http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/x11-wm.html.

Also take a look at FreeBSD's KDE team site, http://freebsd.kde.org/instructions.php.

If you want to change ports options simply cd into its directory and type make config, for example:

Code:
# cd /usr/ports/x11/kdebase3
# make config

To have a slimmed down KDE take a look at /usr/ports/x11/kde3/Makefile and see the available options namely the modules that you can skip.

Code:
# less /usr/ports/x11/kde3/Makefile

Following the instructions on the Makefile you can use the following to install KDE without KOffice:

Code:
# cd /usr/ports/x11/kde3/
# make WITHOUT_KOFFICE=yes install clean

There are other modules that you can remove.

Finally, another option is to go for the /usr/ports/x11/kde-lite port. However this one is quite painful to install, so stick with kde3.

Thanks.
But before when i start installation with postmaster it asked me. I had options to change settings. After I canceled instalation I don't have any more. I did make clean in kde3, kdebase3,qt33...but nothing help. If I remember make clean help?
I don't want just to skip koffice.

You need to know which ports prompted the options and then cd into the port directory and run make config.

Alternatively, point to /var/db/ports. There you'll find directories for each installed port. If the ports has any options a options file shows. You can edit that options file. Afterwards cd into the ports directory in /usr/ports and run make deinstall && make install clean.

If you repeat the portmaster command but add --force-config, it'll ask again for all ports.

Djn said:
If you repeat the portmaster command but add --force-config, it'll ask again for all ports.

I did and I did in the port "make configure" and that is an option to choose components which I forgot.

I am building kd3 now and I hope that will be succsesful.

Djn said:
Ah, yes - the "which parts of kde do you want" is the config box for x11/kde3 .

Portmaster open a Menu and there are all components of KDE and you choose whatever you wanted.
Thank you. I hope that will be support of KDE 3 still...I don't like 4.

Back