KDE vs GNOME

That depends mainly on personal preference. Try them both and see which one you like.

I think the poster is asking if either is better supported under FreeBSD. I'm not aware of anything like this - both are well supported AFAIK.

I run both KDE 4.3 and latest Gnome on 8-beta - so far no problems. Though you may need some manual configuration to enable automated magic comparable to, say, (K)Ubuntu.

i second all the above and have both installed, but prefer gnome for no technical reason. however with your question i think that kde *might* be better supported to some extent given there is the pcbsd team and users (not that gnome is lacking). i mean besides the freebsd-kde team, there is the pcbsd team too who rely on it, if that's safe to say. (they even granted a build machine to the freebsd-kde team a few months back.

I have installed KDE 3.5.10 and GNOME 2.26 on FreeBSD 7.2. IOn my system KDE 3.5 is faster than GNOME.

lumiwa said:
I have installed KDE 3.5.10 and GNOME 2.26 on FreeBSD 7.2. IOn my system KDE 3.5 is faster than GNOME.

hands down. i was wondering about this, when kde4 came out they said it would be faster, but i don't see that and must be only in theory. 3.5 kicks butt in that area.

Back