Solved KDE stuff (k3b/soundkonverter) for handling optical media crashes

Hello,

I've issues when trying to read Audio CDs with some kde applications, with vlc everything is fine and also cdrecord and cdda2wav work, so it has not to do with wrong permissions.

Starting k3b with inserted audio cd in a terminal crashes and gives following output:
Code:
k3b(1393)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "view_projects" with KXMLGUIFactory!
k3b(1393)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "view_dir_tree" with KXMLGUIFactory!
k3b(1393)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "view_contents" with KXMLGUIFactory!
k3b(1393)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "location_bar" with KXMLGUIFactory!
k3b(1393) KSambaSharePrivate::findSmbConf: KSambaShare: Could not find smb.conf!
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 9 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 10 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 34 and type 'Read', disabling...
k3b: Fatal IO error: client killed
Unable to start Dr. Konqi

k3b without inserted audio cd starts normal from terminal. But after inserting an audio cd k3b crashes and I get following error message in terminal:
Code:
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 5 and type 'Read', disabling...

With soundkonverter it is similar. It starts normal from terminal but when trying to add CD files for converting the application crashes and I get following message:
Code:
CDROM model sensed: PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-221 1.00
Checking /dev/cd0 for cdrom...

CDROM model sensed: PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-221 1.00
soundkonverter: Fatal IO error: client killed

Has somebody a useable k3b or soundkonverter on current FreeBSD 10.2 and could help me?

Kind regards,
Holger

Hello,

It might be an issue with current Qt4 in FreeBSD 10.2. Is there a possibility to install newer versions of Qt packages?

Kind regards,
Holger

Last edited:
Hello talsamon,

thanks, I've given your hint a try, but it does not help. I've generated a smb4.conf with samba-tool, have created a link smb.conf, because k3b searchs a smb.conf, not a smb4.conf.

After this procedure the warning
Code:
KSambaSharePrivate::findSmbConf: KSambaShare: Could not find smb.conf!
has gone but k3b still crashes with inserted Audio CD.

Kind regards,
Holger

I found the messaage (and I think you also)
Code:
in the net as bug.

Hello talsamon,

You're right, I've read something about a bug in Qt4 stuff. So my question is, if it is possible to replace Qt4 in FreeBSD 10.2 with a newer version, where this bug has gone?

Kind regards,
Holger

I tried (only for interest):
change in sysutils/k3b/Makefile

Code:
USE_QT4=        gui phonon qt3support webkit \
                  qmake_build moc_build rcc_build uic_build
to
Code:
USE_QT5=  gui phonon4 webkit \
  qmake_build uitools

It compiles fine, and starts without problems, but I can't really test it, cause I have no cd- or dvd-burner on this machine. (If you want you can try it, but it was a "quick hackish" try, and I can't guarantee for anything).

Hello,

recompiling with Qt5 doesn't help. I still get crash with same message
Code:

I wonder a little bit. Has maintainer of audio/soundkoverter / sysutils/k3b not tested this stuff before release of FreeBSD 10.2? A short try with an audio CD should be enough for this.

Edit 02.11.2015: But okay, a Maintainer cannot handle all issues of software, so I'll make further tests with fresh 2.0.3 vesion of sysutils/k3b-kde4 and then open a bugreport, if error has not gone.

Kind regards,
Holger

Last edited:
Hello,

I've given sysutils/kde4-k3b another try and build it from ports today. Unfortunately k3b still crashes when trying to read an audio CD:
Code:

Kind regards,
Holger

Hello,

I've found a solution to fix this issue. Go to systemsettings -> Multimedia -> CDDB and disable MusicBrainz.

Then k3b and soundkonverter will read audio compact discs without any trouble.

Kind regards,
Holger

Back