Kde rocks on FreeBSD

I tried kde plasma on the worst gigabyte brix pc , on linux kde plasma got some problems after a while it broke or had strange artifacts tried many linux distros, on FreeBSD performed obviously better.
Anyway FreeBSD since the 13 release is perfect and a big player as a Desktop OS.

KDE never broke for me on Linux. It's true that KDE on FreeBSD looks great, although on the full install Discover is a weirdo, while they still deliver plasma5-ksysguard instead of the new plasma5-plasma-systemmonitor, which is buggy.

KDE works fine, unless you use nfs automount and don't always have your nfs server running, in which case plasmashell crashes spectacularly. It used to just take a very long time to start up, but now it's far worse. I have no idea why it's trying to access the automounted stuff as I don't ask it to.

I run that right now! it runs perfectly for me, Linux would crash and lock up on me where I would have to reinstall the thing.
I had some problems with my gpu and removed it and working with the intergrated gpu , some changes of freebsd 13.1 made it completely unstable with this gpu.
13.0 used to be rock solid i don't understand what seems to be the problem.

I had some problems with my gpu and removed it and working with the intergrated gpu , some changes of freebsd 13.1 made it completely unstable with this gpu.
13.0 used to be rock solid i don't understand what seems to be the problem.
After updating few days ago (13.1-RELEASE to -p1) KDE Plasma would not load on the first login (black screen with cursor, with KRunner I was able to launch programs normally which seemed really funny to me). I would then CTRL-ALT-DELETE, log out, log back in and it would work again.
Today I ran freebsd-update rollback, rebooted, installed updates and rebooted again and the issue was gone.
But I still have problems with my KDE Plasma install... It basically runs OK for me
EDIT: This didn't actually work... What definitely solved the problem was removing ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc

Last edited:
Back